Collins 26U-1 Interstage transformer.

GroupDIY Audio Forum

Help Support GroupDIY Audio Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

rlaury

Hi Group:
I've got all the parts to build a pair of Collins 26U-1 limiters except for the interstage transformer. The spec's are 30K to 68K. This makes it a 1.5:1. Anybody know of a good substitute for this one? I could build the 356E-1 and not need an interstage but I think I want to go for the 26U-1.
Any Ideas?

RonL

I'm not having much luck finding a substute. I think I'll build up the input stage for the 26U with a 6386 and do some testing. Judging by the size of the original it needs to be pretty hefty. I'm almost thinking about winding this one myself.

Hi guys, have a chat with Brian Sowter he does custom stuff and is very helpful, helped me no end with my BA6A tranformers.

Cheers Gary O.

[quote author="rlaury"] interstage transformer. The spec's are 30K to 68K. This makes it a 1.5:1. [/quote]

I'm sure this isn't new info to you, but just in case: UTC HA-137. I would expect to pay a small fortune for them on eelBay, since anything UTC with the "HA" prefix is coveted these days.

Looks like LS-25 would work too, buy same scenario with regards to cost/availability.

CJ's wonderful UTC page.

I just saw you original post asking about the 26U, and its really awesome that you got those original output tranformers. I couldn't find a schematic for the 26U. I'm collecting parts for a 356E clone.

Almost all of your innerstage transformers are about the same ratio, 1:1.5, 1:1.7. This means tou have a lot of transformers to choose from

What was the original?

The UTC CG series, the round can models, might be the way.
Post a circuit so we can see how much dc is going thru the windings.

Right.
HA-137. Like the post before me says. :oops:

I have seen those on evilbay once in a while for cheap.

Since no dc, and only 100 mw, you should be able to use any innerstage you want.

WOW! The HA-137 thats it!
The Collins manual says it's mfg by UTC
but doesn't give the model number.

Thanks guy's!

Do I get a prize? :wink:

I've been thinking about this for the 356E clone, and was wonder if I could get away with a smaller transformer, like the A-18. The 356E used a 600:60k originally, but is that kind of step up necessary?

I was going to eliminate a transformer, and use either 12AV7 or 6SN7 plate -> A-18 -> 6386(or 6BA6) grids. The A-18 only handles +18dbm. Poop.

Edited to explain the idea better. Who am I kidding, no one cares about my hair brain schemes. :green:

Nope, But I'll have a beer tonight for DIY in your name.
Really though, thanks a lot. Ive looked through the UTC catalog I had
but the interstage page was missing.

RonL

[quote author="rlaury"]Nope, But I'll have a beer tonight for DIY in your name.[/quote]

That's all I could ask for. :sam: I'm looking forward to seeing how your project turns out. Thanks for sharing. :thumb:

Latest posts

Back