Help me identify this Quad Eight module.

GroupDIY Audio Forum

Help Support GroupDIY Audio Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

API

Hi.

Does anyone know what this module is called??
And is it a Compressor to, or just a De-Esser???

quad_eight.jpg

Any input appriciated!

Regards,
API

Looks like an AM2B - the de-esser is just a filter in the sidechain. Really nice optical compressor / limiter - usually unbalanced, so you may want to add some transformers. The ones I've seen have had Q8 hybrid AM4 opamps insided them - which can be a pain if they die.

So, ermmm... if you could just post it out to me... then that would be great :grin: :grin:

Justin.

[quote author="JustinS"] The ones I've seen have had Q8 hybrid AM4 opamps insided them - which can be a pain if they die.

[/quote]

fyi, ken at orphan audio is talking about making replacements available at some point..

http://www.orphanaudio.com/index.php?topic=28

I am now pretty sure that these are the AM2B compressors with a de-esser, not just a de-esser.
This makes it alot more interesting!!!
From what i understand they usually come in 2 modules, with the de-esser on a separate module, that also has a output control.
So these maybe were custom.

Will get some pics of the inside as soon as i can!

Thanks for all the input!

Regards,
API

i've racked a pair of these in dim past
pm me if you want the schemo

they are a bit kooky, the sidechain is picked up post the input level control so you have to fight the comp control and input level control a bit to get the desired compression and the required makeup gain happening
and...from memory unbalanced in and out
the de-ess just switches in a bank of caps to the sidechain so that compression only happens above selected frequencies.

Hi.

Pm you for the schem and a few other questions.
Saw the ones you had racked on your site.
Does not look like you had the optional De-esser and output module with them, just the De-ess switch.

I believe these are custom ones, since it has the De-ess knob on the same face plate.
Apparently they came out of a custom Neve (Oops, i said the magic word!) desk, which would explain the color of the face plate as well.

Does anyone know roughly how much the could be worth??

Thanks
API

Back