Help me identify this Quad Eight module.

GroupDIY Audio Forum

Help Support GroupDIY Audio Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

API

Hi.

Does anyone know what this module is called??
And is it a Compressor to, or just a De-Esser???

quad_eight.jpg

Any input appriciated!

Regards,
API

Looks like an AM2B - the de-esser is just a filter in the sidechain. Really nice optical compressor / limiter - usually unbalanced, so you may want to add some transformers. The ones I've seen have had Q8 hybrid AM4 opamps insided them - which can be a pain if they die.

So, ermmm... if you could just post it out to me... then that would be great :grin: :grin:

Justin.

[quote author="JustinS"] The ones I've seen have had Q8 hybrid AM4 opamps insided them - which can be a pain if they die.

[/quote]

fyi, ken at orphan audio is talking about making replacements available at some point..

http://www.orphanaudio.com/index.php?topic=28

I am now pretty sure that these are the AM2B compressors with a de-esser, not just a de-esser.
This makes it alot more interesting!!!
From what i understand they usually come in 2 modules, with the de-esser on a separate module, that also has a output control.
So these maybe were custom.

Will get some pics of the inside as soon as i can!

Thanks for all the input!

Regards,
API

i've racked a pair of these in dim past
pm me if you want the schemo

they are a bit kooky, the sidechain is picked up post the input level control so you have to fight the comp control and input level control a bit to get the desired compression and the required makeup gain happening
and...from memory unbalanced in and out
the de-ess just switches in a bank of caps to the sidechain so that compression only happens above selected frequencies.

Hi.

Pm you for the schem and a few other questions.
Saw the ones you had racked on your site.
Does not look like you had the optional De-esser and output module with them, just the De-ess switch.

I believe these are custom ones, since it has the De-ess knob on the same face plate.
Apparently they came out of a custom Neve (Oops, i said the magic word!) desk, which would explain the color of the face plate as well.

Does anyone know roughly how much the could be worth??

Thanks
API

Latest posts

Back