Newbie preamp project. Green vs JLM99V vs ???

GroupDIY Audio Forum

Help Support GroupDIY Audio Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

MK50H

Hi guys,

I'm new around here, I'm keen to build my own pre's and compressors for my studio. Kits are pretty important to me, as I find shopping around for all the parts is a real pain, and introduces significant delays.

For now, the pre's are the 1st thing on my list. I was thinking of the Green, but I'm now thinking that the JLM 99V kit may be better for my needs.

As background I am using SM57, SM58 & KSM44 mics into a DAW in a small crappy room. I have been recording Male vocals with the KSM into the onboard pre's on a Digi001, and feel that decent pre's will make a nice improvement.

I could really do with your advice as to what will work for me. I have 2 main requirements for preamps.

Recording vocals, mostly male but sometimes female. I'm looking for something that has clarity, a little warmth, and that will flatter the average singers I'm recording.

Recording acoustic guitar, here I want warmth & sparkle without to much bass.

So, what do I build 1st? I am thinking of the JLM 99V (with OEP input transformer), but I'd like you here your recommendations.

BTW, later (when I have some more cash) I will also want a pre to help make Rock & Blues guitar sound big and fat. Here I'm looking at the Micro1290, so any views on this are most welcome too.

Thanks
Neil

Neil

The Green is pretty clean & uncoloured, while I gather that the JLM has more character to it (never heard one myself....)

The JLM will be an easier build having less components, but a bit pricier at the end of the day AFAIK.

Choose away.....

Peter

If you have the budget for the JLM, go for it. It is one hell of a preamp. It's thick without being excessively colored. I plan to build more when money allows. :thumb:

[quote author="peterc"]Neil

The Green is pretty clean & uncoloured, while I gather that the JLM has more character to it (never heard one myself....)

The JLM will be an easier build having less components, but a bit pricier at the end of the day AFAIK.

Choose away.....

Peter[/quote]

peter,

would you put the green in the same class as something like the sytek or symetrix 202? i've been dying to build the Green, but I have semi-clean utility pre's in my AMEK BCII. Do you think the green would be an upgrade from there? I also have an AM16, Altec 1567a, Gates BiMote, and Hamptone tube.

Donny

Never heard the Sytek, but the Green beats the shite out of a 202. The 202's I have used are SSM2017 chip based which I do not like at all.

The Green would complement the rest of your pre's very well. They all seem to be vintage/valve jobs with transformers, so it would be a different colour (what colour is clean? :wink: ) than the others.

Regards
Peter

I have both of these pre's :thumb: ,even though i built the earlier version of the green pre not knowing that Peter had a second instalment out. :roll:

Both are great!! and both are very, very clean (I went with the Lundahl 1538 input trannie & I haven't put an output transformer on the 99v yet either, so that may add more colour.)
The green sounds drier to me ,and the 99v has that slightly polished, creamier sound to it while still being transperant. I'm still yet to sit down and do some direct comparions just to educate myself a bit more in the different tones of pre's. The OLP option may add a bit more colour too.

Anyways, both were easy to put together, and I only had one little hiccup with one of my greens, but that was to do with my own budget home etching job. :roll:

I seem to have more luck building pre's than I do compressors!! ha ha :green:

[quote author="peterc"]Donny

Never heard the Sytek, but the Green beats the shite out of a 202. The 202's I have used are SSM2017 chip based which I do not like at all.

The Green would complement the rest of your pre's very well. They all seem to be vintage/valve jobs with transformers, so it would be a different colour (what colour is clean? :wink: ) than the others.

Regards
Peter[/quote]

Thanks very much!

Hi Neil,

The KSM44 is the most boring LDC I've ever heard. (Don't hate me, it's just an opinion! :)
So, without having heard either the JLM or the Green, if I was in your situation, I would go with the JLM, since it's more coloured.
Only thing is, do you like the colour of the JLM.

Uhoh, I think I've just intensified your "purchase dilemma" instead of quenching it. Sorry :) Devil's advocate

If it's of any value, I've actually ordered PCBs & components for 2 channels of Green pre for my own studio.

All the best,

Dax Liniere

PUZZLE FACTORY
SOUND STUDIO
Sydney, Aust.

c: +61 412 599 533
www.puzzlefactory.com.au - now with VR!

[quote author="DaxLiniere"]
The KSM44 is the most boring LDC I've ever heard. (Don't hate me, it's just an opinion! :)[/quote]

Dax, No offence taken, in fact it was because of this "boring" sound that I got the KSM44 it, it seemed to bring "jack of all trades, master of none" versatility to me. It also works OK on my voice.

Guys, thanks for your help. This place is really cool, without you guys I would find it very difficult (probably impossible) to find the information needed to build good gear for my studio.

From what I have read so far it seems like I'm gonna build both the JLM's and the Greens. Sadly funds mean that I hae to choose just one 1st.

So, the 1st build is ganna be the JLM 99V, mainly because I feel that it will be an easier (quicker) build. And I think that my KSM44 could use a little character adding to it.

Thanks again
Neil

Back