Soundtracs Mixer or NO Soundtracs Mixer ?

GroupDIY Audio Forum

Help Support GroupDIY Audio Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

chriss

Hello there,

I have been offered a Soundtracs Megas 40-8-2 - Mixer that is more or less fitted as a live mixer but was used as a production mixer before. Now I wonder if I should get it or not. What I still use is a Tascam M-3500 wich annoys me quie a lot (Noise, Hum, broken plugs etc.). I don't need In-Line-functionality since I do recording on my DAW and though am flexible with any routing questions. Only point: Input should be switchable between Mic/Line.
So - does anyone here have any comments on this desk (I think it's the older series) or even in comparison to the Tascam?
Any Links to Megas-Info-Pages are welcome too.

Chris

Hi Chris,

I have the Megas console, no problem with the machine. But I use it for a live sound. Uset to be a recording console too. Demo studio. Standard British mic pre and EQ. I am touring with the console for aprox. 8 years, no defect. Solid mixer.

How much cost it?

Thanks for the reply Milos,

it will be around 1.000 Euros or so. Sounds o.k. to me. Only disadvantage with the desk is that there is no channel-meterbridge, only vu for master and groups. I was wondering if it would be good enough for studio-use. But looking in the manual, I found they had three different versions: Megas Stage, Megas-Monitor and Megas-Studio all with the same modules just different configurations (patchbay, meterbridge, matrix-modules, etc.).
I'm almost sure it's a better choice than the Tascam M-3500.
Is the talkback-function different to studio-mixers?
The power-supply is a switching-type, right? Did you ever have problems with it? I'm more into equipment that I can repair myself - quite hopeless with switching-PSU, I guess...
Thanks

Hi Chris,

Power supply I have is conventional, no switching. One problem I had was bad soldering of the reservoir capacitor of the +/- rail for op.amps. Glue the big radial caps.

Really? I thought in the manual it says something like switching, but maybe there are different versions. Another indicator is that a 2Unit hight case looks very tiny for a 40-8-2-mixer. Nevermind the PSU - If it breaks down it should be possible to do some kind of replacement.
The cap-glueing is probably only necessary when transporting a lot? I will check the insides anyway when I get it.

I can't answer the PSU-question.
But one more question for Milos: Is it possible to switch between a Mic and a Line (or Tape)-Input-connector? Kind of poor-mans Inline :wink:

from the Soundtracs-Homepage:

PSU
The proven and reliable Source PSU (a fanless switch mode supply designed for the Megas range), is the powerhouse for the MXD. Two can be used simultaneously with the Switch to provide seamless auto-changeover in case of failure. It carries CE, UL and many other approvals.

[quote author="chriss"]I can't answer the PSU-question.
But one more question for Milos: Is it possible to switch between a Mic and a Line (or Tape)-Input-connector? Kind of poor-mans Inline :wink:[/quote]

I think, the input module I have is a DeLuxe module, it has a switch between Line (1/4 inch jack) and a Mic input (XLR), plus phantom power, phase reverse and lo cut. The mono input module has six auxes and the sixth aux knob is switchable to drive direct output. The stereo inputs have the same EQ section (four band semiparametric) and M-S matrix. No mic inputs, two switchable stereo inputs (1/4 inch jacks).

I don't have a Megas, but I do have the MRX 32 model and I love it. I have the same meter bridge setup as you described, but I really use the meters in Logic Pro, so it's not a huge deal for me. Um, yeah. EQ and Pres sound great.

Matt

Latest posts

Back