Why no pots on frquency selection for GSSL SC hpf?

GroupDIY Audio Forum

Help Support GroupDIY Audio Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

intellijel

I was just wondering why on the G SSL side chain HPF design the HP frquency is slected via switch (connecting different resitors) isnetad of using a Pot?

Are pots considered too noisy for pro audio gear and avodided when possible?

I am fairly new to thsi so I am trying to leanr all the nitty gritty about pro design.
cheers,
intellijel

switching a capacitor for select the frequency is the easiest way..

there's nothing that speaks against a pot, but the sweep in such a small freq-range will not be so much different, because the filter is in the
sidechain and not on the audible signal..

I am often thinking in terms of using the Compressor as an instrument for dance music.

It is a useful technique to compress the bass+drums (or other parts) by putting it through a stereo comrpessor SC with the kick. If this is the case, then it can be nice to really
accurately tune the hpf so that just the clickly higher freq part of the kick is triggering the compressor.

I assume most people on here that are buildign a GSSL are using it for instrumetn recordings. Dance music kick drums (e.g. minimal techno, house etc.) sound and work totally different than say a rock kick drum. imho!

cheers,
intellijel

ok, but for that purpose you really don't need the ssl comp.. because you would avoid the great functions of the control circuit by feeding it only with a single source like a bassdrum.. any other compressor with a sc input would do this as good as the ssl..

but to achieve that rxact pumpin/gating sound effect,
you better use a plugin (e.g. crunchessor) or the automation of your sequencer..

Back