FCC fines well know Equipment MFG for Non Compliance

GroupDIY Audio Forum

Help Support GroupDIY Audio Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

rlaury

It's a dirty little secret that many audio gear manufacturers don't
actually test their products for EMI/RFI compliance, but here's one
that got caught:

http://www.conformity.com/enews030906/Article1.html

This should be in the Brewery, but its hilarious where ever you find out about it!

I can hear them (in whining, groveling lackey tone) saying, "But we copied designs from manufacturers who do actually test the equipment they sell. We thought that was good enough." :razz:

" and adjusted upward based ?on the egregious nature of Behringer?s misconduct, its relative disincentive to comply (ability to pay a forfeiture), and the substantial economic gain it derived from its continued marketing of unauthorized devices after the Enforcement Bureau began its investigation.? "

Not good when the Feds use the word egregious and misconduct in the same sentence. :shock:

[quote author="strangeandbouncy"]$1 million forfeiture . . . . OUCH![/quote]
Not really. How much do you think they sell in a years time? How much do you think testing all of those models at an accredited lab would cost?

They said $7k fine per model. I don't know exactly what testing has to be done, but I can imagine that it would cost more to actually do the testing. Of course, now they have to do the testing and pay the fine!

RoHS and WEEE are going to cost a LOT to implement. I can imagine that this would cause some companies to quit the business. Or cheat and hope they don't get caught.

Peace!
Charlie

Trouble is that $1M is a slap on the wrist for that company. I was under the impression that compliance testing was about $30k for a unit. And the unit could be a guitar pedal, not each individual SKU. Or a power supply, and then each unit that uses that power supply passes through compliance much quicker.

What do you want from a company who's slogan is "Be evil." :twisted:

Back