Hacking The Bloak

GroupDIY Audio Forum

Help Support GroupDIY Audio Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

analag

Samp.PNG

Was it the beer or the mary-j that made me do this.
icon_wink.gif

analag

Fear it not gentle people, it's only a simulation and a very good looking one at that.
CJ next time I won't share...ok?

Yea, it would be nice to do away with the DC on the output.
CJ is especially cranky lately. Is it the low purity crack that has him suffer?

Menopause maybe, CJ a little estrogen could help
icon_biggrin.gif

you out with them hot flashes, me boy.

It's March Madness.
I noticed it elsewhere, so I am trying to blend in. :grin:

They say this is the best time to take a vacation, the first or second week in March, because thats when you have had just about enough of cabin fever and getting outside will do the most good.

I broke into Longs, so I am back in chill mode.
:razz:

Nice circuit.

Why does everybody use those 0.1 cent 4148's for critical temp and bias compensation?

what about a precision ref?
oh, we need that drift. doh on me.

don't they spool off all over the place as far as fvd?

oh, those are zeners, sorry.
i would ditch the zeners.
put an ammeter on one and see what i mean.
if you starve them, they start to "zener".

Tomorrow I will build this version of the Bloak, just to confirm that I did what I set out to do.

Remove the DC from the output thus the large output cap.

The Bloak is a celebrated amp in it's original state and no disrespect to it, but a tweaker I am, so why not?

analag

I get confused easily so type slowly. Can't you get the same result of zero offset by just playing with R6 and R4 with no added parts? Would this balance drift once achieved? If so it seems the adjustment pot would also drift wouldn't it, requiring different settings for different applications?

I know there are strong views on this, but what is the real detriment to a capacitor on the output? It seems like if you had a decent capacitor things would be fine. The folks who have made this seem to like it a lot.

[quote author="tk@halmi"]Rowan,

How does that Q5 thingy work? Doesn't it mirror Q2 and inject AC onto the bases of Q1 and Q7?

Cheers,
Tamas[/quote]

No AC is injected into the bases of Q1 and Q7, without Q5 everything falls apart. I want to build it and post the results before I get into the specifics. I'm sure further tweaking will be needed outside of the simulator.

[quote author="thomas"]I know there are strong views on this, but what is the real detriment to a capacitor on the output? It seems like if you had a decent capacitor things would be fine. The folks who have made this seem to like it a lot.[/quote]

A polypropelene cap that size is both expensive and ridiculously large. From what I hear, this amp is super sweet sounding. What if the cap was omitted?

analag

[quote author="eded"]question...
why was it named bloak ??[/quote]

It is just a play with words. Gain Bloak = a gain block that is your friend

> Why does everybody use those 0.1 cent 4148's

Because we ran out of 0.05 cent 1N914s.

> bbl

Haec immatura a me iam frustra leguntur o y

[quote author="PRR"]

> bbl

Haec immatura a me iam frustra leguntur o y[/quote]

Too early? It's never..... :razz:

I wish I got the "bbl" reference.

I actually remember that story from my wife's "Exploring The Universe" class in college!

[quote author="skipwave"]I wish I got the "bbl" reference.[/quote]

Why, Baltic Boob Lovers, of course! :roll:

Peace,
Al.

thats a cute play on words halmi.
i got another some may say stupid question.
but you can all throw rotten tomatoes at me. if you wish.
yum yum i like tomatoes fried up nearly black smothered all over blackened toast with a glass of port on the side.
my wife says i'm weird !
but just trying to learn. 12v dc and 15 v dc wall warts are a dime a dozen at dollar stores. what i like about the bloak is its elegent simplicity.
ive found in life the best solutions always are rather simple.
like if aliens do exist i bet their time warp engines are probably simple elegent designs.
could i run this bloak powered by such simple cheap wall warts ??
what cheap good sounding transformers are recommended to feed this lovely design to process low impedence mic signals ??
and how about a portable battery powered version for location recording ?? is this a possibility ??
so someone could go on safari and record lions roaring .
i used to live in africa but never had a way to capture all the wonderfull night sounds when i slept on the roof at night. by the way before you laugh flat roofs are common in africa and people like to sleep up there.

Back