Royer Mic Mod Questions

GroupDIY Audio Forum

Help Support GroupDIY Audio Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

spamseekup

Okay, I have done modding before and made some mic pres and guitar pedals, but all with pretty detailed instructions. I did a lot of research before I got started on the royer mic mod, but still have a few questions. First of all, I'm using a MXL2003, with the 797 capsule. And I'm building it using point to point wiring on a perf board. I have the amp section done, and about to mount in on the mic.

1. The MXL2003 has a pad and low cut on it. It has a pcb right under the capsule. It connects the blue lead (the red one goes straight to the board) to the switch. I'm not interested in the low cut, but the pad would be nice. Right now, it takes the blue lead to another wire to the old board. What can I do to make this pad actually work?

2. Also it has a 200M resistor coming off of the blue lead to the old board (maybe to ground). Is this necessary or can I just take it off?

3. I am using the Jensen tranfo. Do I need to connect the black and grey leads, or just cut them off?

Sorry if these are simple questions. Also if you have any advice on using a perfboard, like keep part a away from part b, that would be great. Thanks in advance for your assistance.

Ben

Anyone?? Really I am most interested in what to connect the black and grey wires from the transformer to. Ground or nothing I think, but which one? I already just connected red and blue wire from capsule to the circuit board without that resistor (since it wasn't in the design) and without the pad, because I don't know how to make one.

But what do I do with the black and grey wires???

[quote author="spamseekup"]
1. The MXL2003 has a pad and low cut on it. It has a pcb right under the capsule. It connects the blue lead (the red one goes straight to the board) to the switch. I'm not interested in the low cut, but the pad would be nice. Right now, it takes the blue lead to another wire to the old board. What can I do to make this pad actually work? [/quote]

Ben,

Both, pad and low cut are simple capacitors.
The pad should be connected in parallel with capsule. Put in series switch and capacitor (you can use the stock one, found on PCB, or replace it with high quality of same value), and hook one end to the ground and another to the grid of the tube (pin 1). Once you short the switch, the pad gets engaged.

[quote author="spamseekup"]
3. I am using the Jensen tranfo. Do I need to connect the black and grey leads, or just cut them off?
[/quote]

I have a rule for myself--never cut transformer leads off. If they are there, there is a purpose :razz:

Even if you don't use them for one project, you very well might use the trafo later for another circuit, where the leads you just cut off are neccessary.

Anyway, these are electrostatic shields. Connect both to ground.

Great! Thanks for your help. I will put both black and grey leads to ground, and keep your tip in mind. Regarding the caps for pad and low cut. For this mic, there is a switch that one side is low cut and the other is pad, middle is regular. What value of caps should I use? The ones on it are cheap ceramic caps, should I use silver mica? Thanks

Latest posts

Back