Shure SE30 mixer/compressor...any good?

GroupDIY Audio Forum

Help Support GroupDIY Audio Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

lohi

Has anyone had any experience with a Shure SE30 mixer/compresser? Broadcast stuff from the 70s. I got one for $16 on eBay for the transformers, but the mixer section seems pretty quiet and decent. The compressor doesn't work. I have the manual and will put the time into it if the compressor sounds OK. Thanks, Keith

I don't have experience with that particular unit. But if it uses the same input transformers as the old SM67 mixer, they're decent and worth keeping if you decide to strip it for parts.

I have one of these mixers... and I pretty much use the so called broadcast limiter as a FX type box while tracking room mics for drums etc... it's the pumpiest compressor you'll hear... coloration galore, it's down right nasty for taking the dynamics completely away, it's a mangler of sound... and for this reason it's earned a special place in my arsenal of rack gear.... if you're lookin' for mangled sound... this is the one !

Also, the decay time is crazy... it can be set at 30 seconds or somethin' foolish like that ??

Latest posts

Back