speaker as microphone for kick drum

GroupDIY Audio Forum

Help Support GroupDIY Audio Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
rascal seven wrote
Mine is a Radio Shack 8" 'full range' speaker that I got for $8 when they discontinued their speaker parts. I put the leads of the speaker through half the windings of a transformer from a DOD passive direct box (very cheap), in reverse for step-up.

I don't know what the ratio is of this transformer, as I can find no info on it, however I'm guessing it's at least an 8:1 or maybe 10 or 12:1. There was a center tap, so I just used half the windings.

i'm pretty shaky on this stuff but is this sounding better because the mic pre is seeing not only a lower level but also a higher impedance? eg if the speaker is 8ohms, isn't that a bit low? if i'm right (correct me if i'm wrong!) a 10:1 in reverse would give 80 ohms...

could you do the same with a T pad?

or have i totally missed the point?

Actually a 10:1 in reverse would give 800ohms, no? The impedance ratio is the square of the turns ratio, so 10x10=100. 8 ohms x100=800 ohms.

That's why I used only half the windings. Assuming it's a 10:1 direct box transformer, then half would be 5:1, reversed, which would give an output impedance of about 200 ohms... perfect.

Of course, I too am pretty new to this stuff, and it seems many people don't use a transformer, so I don't really know if it was required at all. I just liked the sound better.

I used it again today... I just love what it does for the kick. The output is pretty high though, so when I put it right next to the front head with a heavy player, I really do need a pad. Without the transformer the occasional pad probably wouldn't be necessary.

JC

I dont use a transformer and no pads either - its a great sound.
Why do you need a transformer. Would it be better with a transformer?

I have a few speakers that I use for mics. Especially for kickdrum and bass. They just go places mics can't. And the result is a nice compressed sounding kick. With different speakers you can get different dominant frequencies. On one speaker I can get about 60 and the other 100hz.
You can chose whatever flavour you like.

HI,

YOu can use this DI box that I built to use a Speaker :

index_DI%20front.JPG

THe schematics are here, at the bottom of the page, FIG 3

http://sound.westhost.com/project35.htm

You can put a speaker on input, a switch is here to change from Line or speaker input.

maybe could interested some people..

i'm loving this.

will pop down to my local tandy (the oz version of radio shack) and get me some monster kick mic action.

so the basic setup is this - speaker + and - go to DI (active or passive)
track along with a kik mic
check phase
mix
enjoy

am i missing anything?

chris.

[quote author="CJ"]cool, has anybody done delay measuremnts, does the spk move the kick back any?[/quote]

Good point but if there is any it's VERY hard to tell... I'm not sensing any phase effects. With a D112 just inside, & the SubKick (NS-10) 1-2 inches from the front head they blend well. If you use a kick mic with added bottom like a D6 or the Beta 52 it can be too much. I have an RE-20 & 421 also & think they'd also be a great combo - eq-ing the just inside mics to taste. :wink:

Kevin - khstudio

not useful by itself , but adds a big loose low end when used with a mic ,
a bit like using the boundry mic inside .

some like a ld in omni null at the back skin for this

the easy way is to get a gtr combo unhook the speaker line that connects
to the speaker and plug it into a passive d.i. , may need the pad on
position it infront or off off the hole if the skin has one to play with level .

regards Greg

People have been using speakers as "microphones" for a long time. There are issues with phase and delay, but it's no worse than combining multiple or close micing with room mics. Geoff Emerick gave an interview that he mic'd the bass amp on Paperback Writer to get the signiture sound on those tracks.

There is a mention of it HERE

Not necessary to buy a new woofer. We tested a new NS-10 woofer next to a "fatigued" removed driver and for this application there is NO difference. I am not talking about a shredded woofer but the "it farts when we solo the kick" kind. The mechanical fatigue is not apparent when the woofer is used as a microphone. Great recycling- should I open an ebay store? :green:

Another use of blown NS-10 woofers- an artsy friend made a sound sculpture with a 5 x 5 cluster cabinet of woofs, wired them in series with a 400 ohm ohmite power resistor and plugged them into the wall. Hummmmmmmmmmmm!

i used an NS10 wolfer for mine, try to find a shop that used to replace them and see if they have any creased or discolord cones.

What about a 22" woofer!

Just replace the kick drum with it!

You just might have to use a bit of gaffa to stop the pedal beater punching a hole?

Oh, no wait - how would you mount the toms on top?

hhmmmm - I know! Use smaller speakers (a 13" and a 12") for the toms!!!

You'd probably have to us those plastic tipped sticks though!!!

Don't know about cymbals - maybe some huge metal type tweeter cones??

Maybe I should think this through some more................... Sorry

Back