Cinema Engineering Co 50K variable attenuators

GroupDIY Audio Forum

Help Support GroupDIY Audio Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

lohi

I have a few Cinema Engineering Co 50K variable attenuators. I'm wondering if I can use one as an attenuator in a Pultec MB-1 preamp, between the input transformer (150-15Kohm) and the grid of the tube. Would the impedence be about right? I'd probably have a switch to remove it from the circuit altogether. Does anyone have experience with these old, old attentuators? I think they were a part of a passive mixer.
Keith

50K is too low, technically speaking, to go between a 15K transformer secondary and a tube grid. Any impedance at the grid less than 10x the secondary impedance of the input transformer will cause loading-down of the mic. But try it, see if you like it--and if you don't, no harm done. And yes, do put in a bypass switch, since you don't want that load shunting the grid when it's not needed.

Putting a pot right after the input transformer in a mic preamp is not good practice, technically, but some people have done it and liked the results and I can't be bothered to argue with them anymore :wink:

Those old Cinema stepped pots are good. Even if you don't use them for this project, they'll surely come in handy sooner or later. I doubt they came from a passive mixer; they were probably used as an interstage gain control in a program amp.

Thanks Dave, that's sort of what I figured intuitively. Really, I think I wanted to use them because they look so good. This preamp is going to have variable gain, and be used mostly with mics anyway. I'm probably just gilding the lilly.----Well, how would 50K be as an input for an unbalanced direct in for guitar or bass? Still kinda low? Anyway, thanks for the reply. I'll keep them around. Keith

Latest posts

Back