Triad Input Transfomers

GroupDIY Audio Forum

Help Support GroupDIY Audio Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

khstudio

I found 2 Triad Input Transfomers and need some help figuring out what they'd be good for & if there any good.

They look to be about the size of the ouncer's

Triad-xformers---small.jpg

Side 1
PIN 1 = COMMON
PIN 2 = 150 ohm
PIN 3 = 600 ohm

Side 2
PIN 4 = GND
>>> 60,000 ohm
PIN 5 = GRID

PIN 6 = ??? goes to center (Dotted line)

Power Level = 0 DBM

Any info is good info
I think they might be out of a console... used for the mic inputs.
I'd also like to use them for that, hopfully on one of the mic pre projects here - NYD 1 or 2 bottle, etc... Also, if it is a mic input trans, could I switch between the 150 & 600 ohm for different mics?

Thanks,
Kevin[/img]

Nobody... Thats it I'm gonna :sam: :sam: :sam: :sam: :sam: :sam: :sam: :sam: :sam: :sam: :guinness: :guinness: :guinness: :guinness: :guinness: :guinness: :guinness: :guinness: :guinness: :guinness: :sam: :guinness: :sam: :green:

[quote author="khstudio"]Nobody... Thats it I'm gonna :sam: :sam: :sam: :sam: :sam: :sam: :sam: :sam: :sam: :sam: :guinness: :guinness: :guinness: :guinness: :guinness: :guinness: :guinness: :guinness: :guinness: :guinness: :sam: :guinness: :sam: :green:[/quote]

Stop. Booze is not the answer (well not always just sometimes).

Ok I'll answer because I sense that you are feeling forlorn and unloved at the moment.

Ok, they're mic input transformers yes. They would be ok to use as... yes mic input transformers. Pin six is the core ground and can be connected to ground.

150:60k is a 1:20 transformer and 600:60k is a 1:10. Yes you can switch back and forth the two inputs for different mics, different sounds, new microphone gestalt.

Use this information at your own risk. Void where prohibited by law. Preserve nature always wear a helmet.

Kiira

Nice Transformers!
Basically these are 10:1 (600 Ohm) or 20:1 (150 Ohm), split primary, step-up (mic) transformers. 0 dBm is 0 dB referenced to 1 milliwatt of power. So these are low level transformers (no surprise). The dotted line denotes the core and this schematic indicates that it is NOT tied internally to the case (many are). You generally want to tie this pin to ground so that the core is grounded. Sometimes mfrs did not tie the case to ground for good reason. In fact in some ways it is preferable as it may not be desirable to ground the case but to ground the transformer core only. It all depends on the application. However this configuration from Triad provides maximum flexibility. It would be fun to sweep frequency on these and see what their response looks like.

[quote author="khstudio"]Nobody... Thats it I'm gonna :sam: :sam: :sam: :sam: :sam: :sam: :sam: :sam: :sam: :sam: :guinness: :guinness: :guinness: :guinness: :guinness: :guinness: :guinness: :guinness: :guinness: :guinness: :sam: :guinness: :sam: :green:[/quote]

It's been said that there is no problem too big to run away from.

This would not be one of them, as you have scored some nice phat Triad iron(s) for some king-hell mic pre(s). Keep them in a seperate zipcode from the power transformer on the chassis.

I suppose a 1 pole toggle switch could be used to switch 150 and 600 ohm, if it wouldn't blow you out of the room, when switching. lol

Congratulations, and good luck!

This looks pretty similar to the Triad A-11J, a very decent transformer. It's rated at 0dBm but I suspect it will work at even higher levels.

I terminated the A-11J with 301k in parallel with a Zobel network, the latter being 130k in series with 100pF. Not a textbook termination, but it gave the flattest square-wave response. Slightly crispier-sounding than a Jensen.

Edit: Oh, the A-11J also worked really nicely, hooked up backwards, as a transformer for a DI.

Peace,
Paul

[quote author="CJ"]you send, i open.[/quote]

Then I can't use them to build your pre. :wink:

I'd REALLY like to know what MODEL this is but the sticker is ripped :mad:

Hey CJ,
How would you hook these up to your CJ-pre or NYD's, the Zobel or whatever. I'm not really sure what a Zobel is but I'm learning. I'm determined to build a mic pre out of scrap parts I've got.

Would a 15k:600 work on either one of those pre's for the output... I think I have 1.

Thanks everybody for helping.

Kevin - KHStudio

[quote author="CJ"]That would make a cool input.

You might be able to use 1 15k:600 as an output if you use a cap input.[/quote]

You mean a cap before the 15k:600?

& what about the Zobel network everybody talks about?

Hey Guys I can't find the Thread that explains how to test Audio transformers...

Can you help me out? I have these 2 Peerless transformers that are labeled 4759.

[quote author="khstudio"]& what about the Zobel network everybody talks about?[/quote]

forget it. I asked about the mysterious zobel and everybody told me not to worry about it, forget you ever heard the name Zobel. There are stories. I've said too much.

Kiira

You mean a cap before the 15k:600?
Yeah, cause that skinny wire in the 15k side might not want to pass the plate current of the tube, so the cap keeps DC off the winding. Plus the core will probably hate it too.
DC, is instead, fed through a resistor to the plate.

How to use as an input transformer:

Connect the microphone XLR input jack pin 2 to terminal 3 of the transformer. Connect pin 3 of the jack to terminal 1 of the transformer. Connect pin 1 of the jack to ground.

Connect terminal 5 of the tranny to the grid of your tube (or the + input of an opamp, or whatever the input is of some active circuit). Connect terminal 4 of the tranny to circuit ground, preferably right at the bottom of the tube's cathode resistor.

Connect a 301K metal film resistor from the tube grid to circuit ground. This is the transformer's loading resistor.

Connect one end of a 130k metal film resistor to the tube grid; connect the other end to one end of a 100pF capacitor, preferably polystyrene. The working voltage doesn't matter. Connect the other end of the capacitor to circuit ground. The combination of the 130k resistor and 100pF capacitor is the dreaded Zobel network.

You now have a darned good input transformer setup.

You can also use this in a direct box. Connect terminal 5 to the tip terminal of a 1/4" jack; connect terminal 4 to the ground terminal. Connect terminal 3 of the tranny to pin 2 of a MALE XLR jack, and terminal 1 to pin 3 of the jack. Ground pin 1 of the jack to the box.

Finally, you can use this as an output transformer for a tubed preamp. Connect terminals 3 and 1 as related under "direct box"; connect terminal 4 to circuit ground. Connect terminal 5 to one end of a 1uF cap (a film cap, not an electrolytic); connect the other end to the output tube's plate or, if it uses a cathode follower, to the cathode. Make sure that the cap has a high enough voltage rating; to be safe, it should be rated at least 50 volts higher than the B+ that runs the tube. When in doubt, use a cap rated for 400V or more.

I'm not sure how good the transformer you have will be as an output transformer, but it's conceptually similar to using it as a DI, and that works fine for me. It was, however, designed as an input transformer, so that's probably where I'd be inclined to put it.

Peace,
Paul

Paul,
What can I say... I love responces like yours. THANK YOU :thumb:

Zobel: Some say yes and some no. What are the benefits of having it or NOT? Also, how do you come up with those part values?

On my other post:
http://www.groupdiy.com/index.php?topic=14324
I showed the SESCOM's I have and was hoping to use those on the output. I think the Triad's will run out of headroom but I'm not that good at this yet to forsee the future.

DIRECT BOX:
Yea, since I have a few of these to spare that's a great idea. I could always use more of those. :green:

Do you or anyone have any experience with this Model TRIAD... meaning opinion on their quality or sound. I don't know what these are worth or what they could be comparde to but they were FREE :grin:
Me like free.

I'm starting my build of the NYD1B-pre tonite. Last night was gathering info & parts.

Thanks
Kevin

[quote author="khstudio"]Paul,
What can I say... I love responces like yours. THANK YOU :thumb:

Zobel: Some say yes and some no. What are the benefits of having it or NOT? Also, how do you come up with those part values?[/quote]

The benefit is that the Zobel flattens out the frequency response, eliminating a peak up top which causes ringing and, in my experience, harshness. The disadvantage is that you'll spend a buck or two on the parts, and take up maybe a couple of cubic centimeters.

I came up with those part values by pure trial and error, changing out parts while running a square wave through the tranny and looking at the output on a scope.

Do you or anyone have any experience with this Model TRIAD... meaning opinion on their quality or sound. I don't know what these are worth or what they could be comparde to but they were FREE :grin:
Me like free.

We all do. If these are the A-11J transformer in a different case, with different connections (the A-11J's had wires coming out the mounting hole on the bottom), then I have experience with them. They're a very good clean-sounding tranformer. Not quite up to a Jensen JT-115K-E, which is my favorite for most mic input purposes, but I'd call the A-11J the next best thing. And at the price, you can't beat 'em -- if they're the A-11J. Certainly the numbers match.

After I took them out of a mic preamp (replaced with Jensens), I mounted them in miniboxes. Used in the stepdown direction, they make very good DIs, with a very solid and clean sound. Beat the heck out of things like Whirlwind or Proco. Used in the stepup direction, rather surprisingly they made good transformers for a moving coil cartridge, despite the overdamped termination of 47k -- go figure.

Peace,
Paul

I'm hooking up the tranformer right now & need to know where to hook up pin 6... I think it's the core?

I guess I need 2 answers,

- for mic input
- direct box hook-up

pin 6 (core) to ground, or better yet, directly to a point in the chassis, near the transformer, to keep it separate from audio ground. But both ways should work great.

thank you.

I wired up a DI & it sounded great but lost a little too much gain. Even though it was lower, it beat most if not all my other boxes for a phat classic bass sound... much smoother & warmer. Sounded like it would fit in a mix better than my normal - usually plug straight into my Presonus MP20 instrument jack & go. I also have a Countryman which is OK & a Rapco ADB+8 Active direct box that is very good. I never really did a shootout but I'm glad I did. I wish I could get the sound of the Triad with less drop.

Latest posts

Back