DBX 118 pictures

GroupDIY Audio Forum

Help Support GroupDIY Audio Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

moosapotamus

This looks a bit different than the DBX 119 pics that hairyandy posted a couple months ago, especially the discrete VCAs... those are CA3046 chips, but I have no idea what those five-legged tinfoil covered things are.

http://www.moosapotamus.com/DBX118/DBX118.htm

Can anyone tell me what the quad. coupler jack on the back is for? I'd also be interested in knowing what the push-button (above threshold/linear) control on the faceplate does.

Anyone have a service manual?

Thanks
~ Charlie

I think these may have been popular in the 70's for Hi Fi systems.
to increase dynamic range ... expander ... quadraphonic
remember The Who :grin:

the dbx 117,118 and 128 were marketed as a home stereo box that adds dynamics, and "brings your records back to life".

no go figure that this was in the late 70ies, when records actually still had dynamics as opposed modern releases with average levels of -5dB. :shock:

anyway, I really like these dbx boxes - their sound reminds me a lot of the much more expensive vintage 160VU, 162 and 165.
great on bass, kick and sometimes acoustic guitar.

my 2 cents.

michael

Yeah, I just picked up a pair of these 118's. Tried them out on a drum track and an overall mix, so far, and they sound pretty darn cool to me. Kind of remind me of that slammin' 60's Motown sound, compression with a slight hint of distortion, lo-fi & hi-fi at the same time, has the effect of pumping up the energy on an mix.

I'm still curious about what the 'above threshold/linear' push-button on the front panel does to the response. With it set to 'linear,' compression settings seem to sound more dramatic. With it set to 'above threshold,' expansion settings seem more dramatic. Could it maybe be sort of like a hard-knee/soft-knee switch?

I'm also guessing that the quad. coupler jack (mono RCA) is for coupling two units, maybe? Any other ideas?

Thanks
~ Charlie

[quote author="mig27"]the dbx 117,118 and 128 were marketed as a home stereo box that adds dynamics, and "brings your records back to life".[/quote]

yep
... so where do we think this 119 fits in ?
I don't think we had much of this stuff in Australia and I probably only saw things like this in the magazines.

Wow moosapotamus, I've never seen ANY dbx 118/119 look like that :shock: I've had about twelve or so, they all had discrete VCAs. I luv those suckers and have a lot of mods for them. I also have a manual + schematics, I'll see if I can get it scanned. I'm sick in bed right now. I need to go through a minor surgery monday, so don't expect anything for at least a week.

The 119 is the same as the 118 except.... there's more C37 in the 119 :green:

Later guys..

I DIY'ed that years ago with drugz :green: Nothing serious, just really painfull :cry:

You take care as well. Don't bend over to the big green lama :grin:

hey sismofit
Have fun with the surgery. Hope it all goes well. :thumb:
I'm getting some done myself on my sinuses in a couple of weeks. Looking forward to getting it over with, anyway...
That'd be great if you could scan your DBX118/119 stuff when you're feeling better. I'd definately be interested in knowing about your mods, too.

Thanks!
~ Charlie

I found this one sleeping in the street:

I decided I had to give it a new home.

I?m interested in your scan sismofyt. :wink:

It?s strange I read ?240 v? on the back of the unit but the AC plug is not a french standard (see in the picture)?
Any idea?

Latest posts

Back