I finally scored an audio precision!!

GroupDIY Audio Forum

Help Support GroupDIY Audio Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
ya, he was barely livin on a prayer. got his six string in hock and everything.

I really would like to learn how to write some automated scripts... (or isnt it that hard?)

I don't know of any dvd based or other learning tools for the AP.

Automated scripts in APWIN are called procedures or User dialogs. These are written in MS Visual Basic as as subroutines. There are a large number of AP extensions that come with APWIN which control everything that can be done with an AP running APWIN. It is a very extensive ability for a piece of test equipment. There is a Basic Editor in APWIN for creating and editing Visual Basic scripts. Personally, I never use this stuff, but it is really cool. I just haven't the need for it myself.

Make sure that you get ALL the manuals with you AP S3C+. The APWIN manual is a must and there are several other manuals such as the APWIN User's Guide and Programmers Reference that are also very handy and informative.

My personal advice is to plan on spending a BUNCH of time just learning the various panels in APWIN (generator, analyzer, sweer,etc) and the menus and toolbars. You will find this time well spent when you are ready to start using the AP for seriously testing audio equipment. If you are like me, just getting familiar with the S2C will take about 3-5 days of undivided attention. It's a very, very powerful machine.

I am reminded of an ad I once saw in an old computer mag. It showed a F-15 parked on the tarmak. Parked next to it was an old tricycle. Under the F-15 was the caption "Fast and Powerful". Under the tricycle was the caption "Easy to Use". In the world of audio test gear, the AP is certainly not a tricycle.

Hey Brad,

are you going to the ACL this year?

I'll be coming back down on the 15th of sept :green:

[quote author="FredForssell"]I don't know of any dvd based or other learning tools for the AP.[/quote]There were actually a set of two VHS vids on using the AP (no longer available from AP, I think...) They cover using the S1 software...DOS-based. They might not do you any good, then again, they might give you an idea of some of the basic capability of the machine that are not obvious...of course, I have a copy of said vids and would be willing to make a copy if you think its something you just gotta have. Remember though its going to be for system one...so to tag onto Fred's analogy...S1 versus S2 is like F14 or F15 versus F22...I think? :green:

Automated scripts in APWIN are called procedures or User dialogs. These are written in MS Visual Basic as subroutines.
Actually, they have a different word now for what I know as "procedure". And its really its own version of VB, IMO. You'll spend more time writing AP commands than you will VB, fer shure!
There are a large number of AP extensions that come with APWIN which control everything that can be done with an AP running APWIN.
Understatement, I'm afraid!...AP Extensions is a 1-inch thick book by itself. My copy(s) have little sticky notes hanging out all over the place!
It is a very extensive ability for a piece of test equipment.
You can actually jump out of APWIN and open up other apps and write and manipulate data and graphs and all kindsa other crazy stuff. There are commands for controlling switchers and other peripherals too!
Personally, I never use this stuff, but it is really cool. I just haven't the need for it myself.
I'd guess that unless you are planning on doing production volume QC, or letting people who don't know how to "run the machine", run the machine...you'll never really need auto procedures. Don't know if I'm bragging or complaining, but writing procedures is a large part of what I do at my day job. It takes a "while" to learn how to use the automated procedures. Recently, there was a guy on another forum that borrowed a 2700 (the newest model) for a high profile amp test. He was going to try to use this thing for the first time to test a large pile of amps in a few days...Knowing what he was "unknowingly" getting himself into, I offered to help him. He finally got down to a list of tests a week before he was going to do the shootout. If I had taken off work that week, I might have been able to do it for him, but as it was a bit outside the normal devices that I am used to working with, I had to give him a little reality check. AP support was kind enough to back me up by telling him that most people can write their first procedure within a week after reading all of the materials. Its not rocket science, but its not digging a ditch, either. Sorry, 'rant off' now!
The killer on the commands is that some are platform dependant. Gen commands on S1 are different than for S2., etc. I hate that part!

Make sure that you get ALL the manuals with you AP S3C+.
Find out who your local rep is, call him up and ask real nice-like if he has a set of manuals for your machine. You might get a set for free. The "Measurements" book Brad speaks of should be required reading for all here at G'DIY. Great stuff that is non-AP specific.

My personal advice is to plan on spending a BUNCH of time just learning the various panels in APWIN
Agreed! BTW, anyone can download the software (or call and request a CDrom) and run it in demo mode without the hardware. It is fully functional (though you can't make any measurements!) and you can make up test setups and write procedures too. Very nice feature.

btw, for anyone considering buying one of these on the used market: Pay careful attention to the interface card you are getting (ISA-DOS, ISA-WIN, or PCI-WIN) they cost $1k if you have to buy a different one!!
Also you don't need anything more powerful than a P166 to run the thing. The PC is used as an interface only, really. The "processing" is all done by the AP, though a faster hard drive is nice for getting test setups to load faster. :cool:

HTH!
Charlie

yup..

I the rep told me to install the AP2700 sofware and it would run in demo mode... F1 has been my best friend lately :)

I pulled all of the manuals off their site in PDF format ... there being printed and bound this week...

price?

well lets just say it was just a hair under $3k with a new interface card and cable :)

keep in mind though it doesnt have the DSP or Dig I/O option... it'll still work just fine for my uses.

[quote author="Scenaria"]Hey Brad,

are you going to the ACL this year?

I'll be coming back down on the 15th of sept :green:[/quote]

Naw, I think I'm going to skip that one. It looks great, but I think I'm playing that weekend.

its the base Sys 2 cascade plus analog.... SYS-2122 which is basically the 2702 no DSP no filters no dig i/o

it does have the GPIB though...

ended up paying $2800 for it

its not even as though I see it as saving anything seeing how I'd never pay the retail price for one (unless I hit the lotto) it was more like.. oh thats a little more reasonable... I can handle that price

question..

If I wanted to trigger multiple events... would the serial adapter provide this capability?

say relay contact closures?

SIA-2322...? Or is there a new one? Not familiar with this box really. They have a bunch of switchers and interface stuff. Ahh, now its the PSIA-2722.

My first question is: what's the price? I doubt you'll find one of these ever on evilbay.

Check yer PM's :cool:

I'll have to wait 'til monday to calculate your savings! Did you get the burst option or any additional filters? A-weighting, 20kHz LP, etc?

The burst option allows you to output pink/white noise and pulsed outputs and square waves. :thumb: Very handy tools!

Peace!
Charlie

nope I dont think it has the burst option BUT that is one option I was willing to foot the bill for.. I think it runs about $1k

oh and yes I saw one of those serial interfaces on ebay a few months ago... I actually thought about bidding on it as I figured I would get an AP eventually.. sold for $140

I could kick myself in the ass for not grabbing it

Latest posts

Back