DIY - Active Monitor Controller !!!

GroupDIY Audio Forum

Help Support GroupDIY Audio Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Purusha

Has anyone of you made some good sounding active monitor controller so far? You know, with features like the big consoles usually have.

I will build one in near future so what ever information or schematics I can find will be very helpful.

Couldn't you just step down the output of your 2track mixdown with a resistor network switch, like the one on front of the green pree?

If you just send the signal hot enough from the mixdown then this should be a nice passive way.

Just my couple of cents though.
Hejsan

That is asuming this is an "Active monitor" controller, and not an active "monitor controller" :green:

I did search this forum but still didn't find satisfactory project to use it as "active monitor controller" with relays and so on. I am hoping that there is some great DIY available for this somewhere out there like the G-SSL project with nice schematics and part's list....

I would like to have features like:

3 source inputs
a good volume pot
dim
mono, mono left, mono right
3 monitor speakers outputs

Anyone seen some nice DIY schematics for this somewhere?

No, only parts of schematics, ideas, and pictures. We all watching you designing a complete DIY kit with shematics, documentation, boards?
:green:
Maybe you need distribution amplifiers, mono summing modules (taking care of level difference), a simple passive input switch and a passive attenuator. Distribution amps and Mono sums are available as modules (German broadcast : Lawo, Ant, Neumann, etc.), the passive selector and attenuator has been discussed in this forum many times. Hope this help.

N.B. the distribution amplifier is maybe not necessary since you design your own buffers.

http://www.soundonsound.com/forum/showflat.php?session=54997daa32ca1271f53b39c5b2c05ca3&Cat=&Number=118645&page=0&view=collapsed&sb=5&o=&fpart=6#Post270453118645

what do you mean by active?, there is lot of stuff on the general subject in the forum.

I mean not passive, using relays and stuff....

I see now that it will not be such an easy project like G-SSL :green:

Anyway I am still looking for some KIT options or made schematics if anyone of you know such project or has done some similar DIY... :cool:

[quote author="Purusha"]I mean not passive, using relays and stuff....

I see now that it will not be such an easy project like G-SSL :green:

Anyway I am still looking for some KIT options or made schematics if anyone of you know such project or has done some similar DIY... :cool:[/quote]

Using relays does not make it active...although you might need some opamp buffer for the mono signal.
It will be a mostly passive monitor switchbox with some power for the relays and some...

I have some very HQ LAWO Mono sum (active) ones for sale.
Absolutely high standard made for broadcasting, as well as some input/ 4 output modules, ALL trafo balanced.
Mail me if you are interested

[quote author="Purusha"]I did search this forum but still didn't find satisfactory project to use it as "active monitor controller" with relays and so on. [/quote]
what's wrong with the DIY Factory project ideas
sure :roll:
they are still a work in progress but there is enough info to make something
http://www.diyfactory.com/projects/dawmonswitch/dawmonswitch_1.htm
http://www.diyfactory.com/projects/dawmonswitch/dawmonswitch_2.htm
http://www.diyfactory.com/projects/dawmonswitch/dawmonswitch_3.htm
and the fourth is in the works ( ... dawmonswitch_4.htm )
it will be based on one of the PGA chips and use JLM product for volume control and output drive
using the Hybrid will also provide the headphone amp

Mikkel has both switcher and volume ideas in Kit form
http://electronics.dantimax.dk/Kits/index.html

[quote author="Kev"][quote author="Purusha"]I did search this forum but still didn't find satisfactory project to use it as "active monitor controller" with relays and so on. [/quote]
what's wrong with the DIY Factory project ideas
sure :roll:
they are still a work in progress but there is enough info to make something
http://www.diyfactory.com/projects/dawmonswitch/dawmonswitch_1.htm
http://www.diyfactory.com/projects/dawmonswitch/dawmonswitch_2.htm
http://www.diyfactory.com/projects/dawmonswitch/dawmonswitch_3.htm
and the fourth is in the works ( ... dawmonswitch_4.htm )
it will be based on one of the PGA chips and use JLM product for volume control and output drive
using the Hybrid will also provide the headphone amp

Mikkel has both switcher and volume ideas in Kit form
http://electronics.dantimax.dk/Kits/index.html[/quote]

Hi Kev,

actually your diyfactory page was the closest thing I found so far. Great website BTW. :thumb:

But as such a newbie as I am, I am still not so familiar with the whole concept of what your page is offering in regard of what I need. A more detailed discussion with you about what your friend Mikkel can offer me is the next step to go.

WIll the KIT options from Mikkel give me all what I need to make a monitor controller which would have 2-3 inputs, a nice volume control, 3 mono options (C,L,R), dim is not so important and at least 3 monitor outputs?

And I don't need headphone amp inside.

[quote author="Purusha"] ... Great website BTW. :thumb: [/quote]thanks
but it should be a lot more and I do appologise for being so slack

you say you don't want headphones and the dim and only one volume control
but
nope
you do want it but you just can't see it yet

look at the original simple discussion paper dawmonswitch_1.htm
daws1_2.JPG

in front of the soundcard you can have a remote controlled stereo switcher
this feeds the multiple output remote controlled volume units

each feed can be the same thing ... each with an independant control
pictures is the main monitoring and a heapdhone amp
BUT
it could just be Monitor 1 and Monitor 2

the fact that the outputs can be powerful enough to actually be headphone amps shouldn't worry you

see the new JLM Hybrid
hybrid%20top%202%20200.jpg

If the PIC where programmed for it it could change the outputs so any config you want

Surround Monitoring is also possible

I can see how this can be confussiong as we don't have a single completed project to look at yet.

How about you spec what you think you want and we can work through it here ... may even become a complete project.
what is your sound card
what extra inputs do you want to see
do you need hardware monitoring
do you have a seperate cue send for artists
how many and what outputs do you need
?????

The fact that we are talking about it here may inspire both Mikkel and Joe to pull there finger out
that goes for me too !!
.... I'm just kidding Mikkel and Joe - they don't actually have a finger stuffed up your ... :shock:

Thanks Kev for being so inspired to help me :thumb: :grin:

OK, let's see...

I need 3 stereo balanced inputs:

1.) stereo mix from my Midas mixing board
2.) stereo from my Emu 1820M soundcard (1st PC)
3.) stereo from my Emu 1820M soundcard (2nd PC)

Then I need 3 stereo outputs for monitors + one extra for subwoofer:

1.) stereo output for my 1031A Genelecs (with extra adjustable volume control in the back)
2.) stereo output for the amp of my NS10s (with extra adjustable volume control in the back)
3.) stereo output for any extra speakers (with extra adjustable volume control in the back)
4.) stereo out for my subwoofer (with extra adjustable volume control in the back) - this output should be independent of the previous 3 and should have a separate switch for on/mute so I can use it with any speaker system

Then the extra features in between:

1:) Mono in center
2.) Mono in L speaker
3.) Mono in R speaker
(2,3 could be done also with muting L or R when going to mono)

Huge volume knob :green:

Dim is actually a nice option and would be very nice also.

Mute button should be there also...

Headphones are not so important coz I have enough great sources for this but if it doesn't complicate things too much than why not, you never know :green:

For talkback I have Midas and it's good enough... I think that is about it. If you have some more suggestions, just say. I am open for the next step... :thumb:

Part one is easy
[quote author="Purusha"]I need 3 stereo balanced inputs:
1.) stereo mix from my Midas mixing board
2.) stereo from my Emu 1820M soundcard (1st PC)
3.) stereo from my Emu 1820M soundcard (2nd PC)[/quote]
a simple Lorlin 3pos x 4 pole will do this

Sw_1.jpg

3 balanced stereo inputs to a single balanced output
you can not mix the PC's or Midas
one at a time

if you want to mix it all gets more difficult ... but possible

Then I need 3 stereo outputs for monitors + one extra for subwoofer:
1.) stereo output for my 1031A Genelecs (with extra adjustable volume control in the back)
blah blah
4.) stereo out for my subwoofer (with extra adjustable volume control in the back) - this output should be independent of the previous 3 and should have a separate switch for on/mute so I can use it with any speaker system
number 4
is where things get hard
it means that each output must mix to the one input for the sub
you also need a different volume trim for each satellite pair
OR
you trim the satellite pair to suit the sub

also one of your satellite pairs is self powered and the others are passive
will you use the same amp for the second passive set ?

for a FULL PIC controlled system this is just programming BUT for a simple passive/active it can get very difficult

do you want the subwoofer by itself ?
very very difficult for a simple passive/active system

again this is begging for the PIC controlled system as it is complicated
hard to make a generic system mix passive and active with a single sub

Then the extra features in between:
cover that later
but the more complicated the features get the more likely you can only do it with an integrated programmable system

Huge volume knob :green:
might feel a little stupid on a multi turn rotary encoder
:grin:

I suggest a simple 3 x 4 switch
then 3 stereo volume + mute circuits
a simple 3 into 1 mixer to feed the sub
... an amp for each passive pair

to do all this passively could have some screwy loading issues
and there will be the possibility to have all 3 channels up at once

the sub being available to each system is what made it difficult

Part one is easy

Yes, this part should not be difficult.

3 balanced stereo inputs to a single balanced output
you can not mix the PC's or Midas
one at a time

if you want to mix it all gets more difficult ... but possible

This one I didn't understood. Can you explain more in details, please. I just need a switch selection for one of this three at a time not all at once. Difficult?

number 4
is where things get hard
it means that each output must mix to the one input for the sub
you also need a different volume trim for each satellite pair

Maybe the signal for the sub should go to sub output before the switch for the 1,2,3 monitors? The sub is active and has stereo inputs, if this helps.

also one of your satellite pairs is self powered and the others are passive
will you use the same amp for the second passive set ?

No, they have their own amplification.

for a FULL PIC controlled system this is just programming BUT for a simple passive/active it can get very difficult

Can you explain what the PIC controlled system does, please.

do you want the subwoofer by itself ?
very very difficult for a simple passive/active system

I am not sure if I understood you right. I guess the answer is no, it should be part of the whole system but never muted when any 1-3 monitors are chosen. There should be an extra mute switch for sub only.

I know a guy who is making a great monitor controller units with relays but too expensive for me - 1350? :shock:

I will check his controler inside and outside very soon. If possible I plan to make something similar. :thumb:

[quote author="Purusha"] .. This one I didn't understood. Can you explain more in details, please. I just need a switch selection for one of this three at a time not all at once. Difficult? [/quote]as I said your part one is easy and the box picture already does that

I said difficult IF you want to mix
some people use two inputs for say PC + keyboard return mixer
OR
hardware monitoring when the Software/Sound device does NOT cater for hardware monitoring

Maybe the signal for the sub should go to sub output before the switch for the 1,2,3 monitors? The sub is active and has stereo inputs, if this helps.
what will make the sub increase and decrease in volume as you change the satellites
you would need a stacked volume control and this makes trim and balancing very hard

No, they have their own amplification.
fine
simplifies things as each control string can be the same
nominally at +4dBu

Can you explain what the PIC controlled system does, please.
The PIC is just a programmable device
if the PIC was in control of multiple volume control devices ... like a person for each speaker system or even each speaker
and volume knob for each

A single command would
set Genelecs to 5
set speakers 2 and 3 to nil
sub to 5

A single command could
set all speakers to nil
and sub to 6

or any combination you want ... even single speaker stuff ... multiple speaker stuff for surround monitoring

the only hurdle is how to go about achieving mono

... it should be part of the whole system but never muted when any 1-3 monitors are chosen. There should be an extra mute switch for sub only.
:grin:
doesn't that already disagree with itself ?
There should be an extra mute switch for sub only ... but never muted when any 1-3 monitors are chosen.so when a pair is operating the sub should never mute
probably not possible with a simple passive switched system and I'm not sure that is ultimately a great idea

listening to a mix without the sub could be worth while

OK. Let's move on :grin:

said difficult IF you want to mix
some people use two inputs for say PC + keyboard return mixer
OR
hardware monitoring when the Software/Sound device does NOT cater for hardware monitoring

I don't need this since I have my Midas mixer for this :thumb: OK, so this should be no problem.

what will make the sub increase and decrease in volume as you change the satellites
you would need a stacked volume control and this makes trim and balancing very hard

I think the signal should split after the main volume control. One goes to the sub, the other to the switch for 1,2,3 outputs. The sub would be volume controled by the main volume control. The satelite monitors would have anyway the extra volume control for fine tunning the each output somwhere in the back of the box. I don't see the problem here. Also the sub out could have an extra volume control.

the only hurdle is how to go about achieving mono

This is the field where I don't know nothing about :sad:

... it should be part of the whole system but never muted when any 1-3 monitors are chosen. There should be an extra mute switch for sub only.

Let me rephrase it. What I meant is that the sub stays always active regardless of which 1,2,3 output you chose. But it should have an extra mute knob.

OK this is a simple idea in picture, now it just has to be transfered into schematic details. Click on the picture for better view :shock:

Mc.jpg

Back