Fairchild type VariMu Limiter with 6L6GCs (PRR's Idea)

GroupDIY Audio Forum

Help Support GroupDIY Audio Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
> VU meter shows 5dB of GR, but change in level I can see in PAZ analizer is 0.6dB.

It's not really reducing gain as you reduce cathode current. My first guess is that you have too much dead cathode resistance. If I thought your plate transformer could stand unbalanced DC, I'd suggest trying no cathode resistance at all. But that small core is already going crazy from the monster tubes.

I dunno how cheap you can find one, but I'd think of a 15 watt 8KCT:16 output transformer. Sure, the output will be low due to the extreme ratio; this is a prototype. I really don't think 6L6 can be a drop-in in any limiter; you could be prototyping for a long time and many many revisions.

With 8KCT:16 and 250V and Pentode mode, you should be able to get 8V peak output. That's only +17dBu, around 0VU, but plenty for some testing. If loaded in 600 ohms, you should be able to reduce 6L6 current toward 2mA before midrange clipping, and get an honest 16dB gain reduction. You may always have trouble in bass until you get a custom (very costly) transformer.

> I was lowering the threshold

OK, that tells you something. Not sure what. I'd prefer to plot the whole input/output range, from -40dB to +20dB (or where ever it's clearly overloaded), for just a few settings of Threshold. Tedious? Yes. I actually hate working on compressors.

Thank you veeery much for your help, PRR !!!! :thumb: :sam: :guinness: :grin:

I really don't think 6L6 can be a drop-in in any limiter

Ok, another crazy idea :idea: (don't shoot me, please :grin: )

What about 300B as varimu tube ? It cuts off at -120V !
The cathodes are directly heated, but you can use DC for filaments.
And it looks cool. :wink: What do you think, is it possible ?

Thanks.

> What about 300B as varimu tube?

Worst possible tube. Gain does not change much as current is changed: that's why it gives low distortion as a power amplifier. But that also means you won't get any gain reduction except at the very edge of cutoff. And that's so far down, that you'd be using a huge tube at maybe 2% of its ability, yet still paying full price for the bottles and the heater power.

And while a deep cutoff voltage may increase the permissible signal level, it makes the sidechain work harder.

Latest posts

Back