MHz rating for an Oscilloscope?

GroupDIY Audio Forum

Help Support GroupDIY Audio Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

eliya

Hi, I'm looking for an oscilloscope, and saw that they have different ranges. I'll probably use this scope for measurments of signals of audio devices. What would be the minimum range I should get?

Thanks,

Eliya.

p.s. Didn't find anything that answers my question, and I hope this post fits in "The Lab".

I purchased an old Tektronix 465 based on advice that I read on this forum, and though I am still somewhat of a novice, I'm happy with it. I mainly use it to work on my tape machine and guitar amps. It goes to 100mhz, which is seemingly overkill for testing audio signals (I've never heard anyone express concern for any frequencies past 40k, so 100mhz is still way safe). I would think that any scope whose range isn't high enough to test audio signals would be too old to be reliable anyway.
The point is, don't spend more money just to get higher bandwidth. Choose the machine for reliability and/or features you might need.
Like I said, I still have a lot to learn myself, so if anyone wants to contradict me, I'd appreciate an informative upbraiding. :wink:

Usually the lower the bandwidth, the higher the resolution... So a 10 or 20MHz scope might be better for low-level work than a 100MHz one (unless you have tons of cash to spend).

Peace,
Al.

What are the normal max voltages that a scope can handle? I assume that using a big resistor could cut the voltage seen by the scope. I plan on using the scope for tube amps so I know there is quite a bit ~470V in places. I don't want to fry my scope :?

Latest posts

Back