ssl comp mod : increase "make up gain"

GroupDIY Audio Forum

Help Support GroupDIY Audio Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

matthias

hello,

does anybody know, if there's a simple way to increase the range of the make-up gain ??

the gain pot of my ssl comp is mostly turned completely right, when I apply heavy compression, so a range from 0-30 db would be great, if that's possible...

mat

hi.

here is thread about unity gain for the SSL:

http://www.groupdiy.com/index.php?topic=5356

hope that helps.
-michael

thanks, but the unity-gain-thread is about the input gain before the vcas, but I want to increase the gain make up,
that's where you set the output level of the compressor...

mat

Matthias,

are you sure your ssl is working correct ?

I never needed any more output gain than the existing range...?

yes my ssl is working correct, but I like to use !!really!! heavy compression, that I mix with the original signal, so the output gain is not enough for my purposes...
maybe there are only some resistor values to change, but I'm not really sure if it works... so maybe someone can help here...

I'll give this a shot.... you can try a smaller resistor leading into pin 2 (inverting input) of the TL072. The schematic specifies a 620K...try something lower there until you get the desired effect. Maybe 400K or so.

Cheers,

Kris

you could change the feedback resistors in the output stage, but this will give a fixed gain increase whereas feeding the summing resistor into the makeup gain buffer amp will give you more overall makeup range.

Depends on what you want....

Kris

after some tests with 270k and 100k I finally replaced the 620k resistor by a 1m pot, but nothing happens to the gain when turning the pot up and down...

are there any other possibilities to increase the gain range..???

Latest posts

Back