I modified a MXL 990 pics soon to follow

GroupDIY Audio Forum

Help Support GroupDIY Audio Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

pucho812

I did mods to a MXL 990. Today we to compare and contrast my modded mic VS non moded at the studio. If the results are as good as I think they will be then I will post that info here.

But in the meantime they are cheap as one can get that and an SDC(991) for 99.00 @ Banjo center right now.. :thumb: My 991 followed the basic of gus's 603 mod with a slight variation as I couldn't get the 1000pf styroflex cap and had to go with a 820pf and went with different brand of metal film caps. But anyway the 990 was tough to work with not to much space in there. Hard to get the mica's I had in there but I managed nicely. pics will follow soon...

Puncho, how did these mods turn out? what applications are you using them for? just curiuos as i just picked up 2 990's used. $70 US for both so i couldn't resist. i'd like to see what effect removing the brass ring has and im wondering if anyone has try removing a layer of mesh?

[quote author="pucho812"]

I couldn't get the 1000pf styroflex cap and had to go with a 820pf and went with different brand of metal film caps...[/quote]

The best cap is no cap. The 990 construction allows you to separate capsule body from ground, so you can eliminate that cap for good.

Best, M

Latest posts

Back