GSSL BOM for UK ?

GroupDIY Audio Forum

Help Support GroupDIY Audio Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

JAYJAYBEE

After searching the threads for a detailed BOM for the GSSL I came across Gregs BOM, which would be great if i lived in America, but unfortuanately i live in the UK and im not really prepared to pay £20 shipping, plus £10 handling for only £25 worth of stuff from digikey.

I tried cross referencing this with RS components, however im not sure which ones to choose out of the large number of results i get ( as you can tell im a total noob btw ).

So if anyone has a similar BOM to gregs or knows where i could find one but for suppliers in the UK please post.

Thanks

Okay Jay
I haven;t got a BOM (I don;t think there is one) and am still a newbie myself ..
Go ahead.. ask questions...

The only problems you are going to get are in the size (footprint) and quality of the capacitors you use.

Firts things first.. read the threads on the 2180/2181 and decide which version of the chip you want
then buy it from here:
http://www.profusionplc.com/

Then get a list of all your capacitors and the footprint (distance between the leads) and minimum voltage required and probably go onto Farnell or Rapid or RS and do some searching

Look around here for threads about "Which Capacitor Brands/Types" etc..
You can't go much wrong with Gregs list - apart from the Nichicon (difficult to get in Europe)
You may want to substitue these for Panasonic FCs or some other capacitor (hwo deep are your pockets?)
However - try not to get too big a voltage of FCs as they are too physically wide to fit into some of the slots you have (the pin spacing is fine) its the compoentns onthe other side which are the problem

For the small caps - 100pf, 33pf, 10pf - look for NPO, NP0, COG, C0G (they always put the wrong text in against these)
For the resistors 1% 0.25W will do fine (the leads on the 0.5W ones tend to be too thick to get into the holes without you drilling the holes wider with a dremel or similar small hand held drill)
Also - use turned pin sockets so you solder these into the IC holes and the push the ICs in (the other non turned pin sockets always are a bit cheap lookign and fragile)

I'd have to agree with everything uk said except the statement.

[quote author="uk03878"]You can't go much wrong with Gregs list - apart from the Nichicon (difficult to get in Europe)
You may want to substitue these for Panasonic FCs or some other capacitor (hwo deep are your pockets?)[/quote]
It sucks that you guys have trouble getting the Nichicon PW... they rock in the GSSL. I've gotta mention that I'm not a fan of the Panasonic FC. I feel they're way too harsh and brittle and completely scoop out all the mids. I have two GSSLs (one with PW and one with FC), and the one with the FCs usually just sits in my rack and doesn't get used. The Nichicon PW one doesn't have as extended of a top end, but the midrange is 'o so sweet.'

So I'd probably use generic caps over I'd use the Panasonic FC... at least for the GSSL. I built a GSSL for a friend and he agreed. He's since pulled out all the lytics and replaced them with caps he had lying around. He likes it much better.

JAYJAYBEE,

You can use the Manufacturer PIN included with Gregs BOM straight in the farnell search box. eg:

ECA1JHG102 (panasonic 1000u 63v) = farnell part no: 9693076

Personally I've bought from Farnell, RS and even Maplin!:shock: also Mouser and digikey in the USA. If you take that route, bare in mind it's worth getting $100 dollars worth and go for the standard cheaper US mail option.. it will take 2-3 weeks, but I've never got charged VAT or import duty yet... and with a strong pound..

Regarding Profusion: best to purchase Vcas for at least 2 comps, as you will get a better price per item and free postage. (they charge £4.70 min)

Hope this helps.

[quote author="sintech"]You can use the Manufacturer PIN included with Gregs BOM straight in the farnell search box. eg:[/quote]
Why do you think I included the manufacturer P/N. :wink: It can be cross-reference at any part supplier. :thumb:

Hey MikeC,

Farnell only do the solder tag Lorin switches @ 94p each, I've used these before as PCB mounted.. but it takes quite a bit of cutting legs to fit.

Also I've used the identical looking 70p Alpha switches from Rapid:

http://www.rapidelectronics.co.uk/rkmain.asp?PAGEID=80010&CTL_CAT_CODE=30466&STK_PROD_CODE=M30305&XPAGENO=2

I guess Lorlin copies, but they do the job fine. :thumb:

[quote author="sintech"]Farnell only do the solder tag Lorin switches[/quote]

???

i've bought several pcb mount lorlins at farnell..
this sounds strange to me.

Thanks for the tips, guys. Getting still getting all the bits together so have to admit to being a DIY SSL virgin :grin: . For the life of me, can't find my old solder sucker so resolved not to make any mistakes.

Am still unsure what meter to use. Just wish the PPM14's weren't so expensive.- will probably settle for an AL19 for the first attempt.

M

Sorry!! Farnell do do the PCB type, but the illustration shown for it's part no is solder tag.

[quote author="sintech"]Sorry!! Farnell do do the PCB type, but the illustration shown for it's part no is solder tag.[/quote]

I'm having trouble working out which are the PCB mount Lorlins :shock:

Any idea can't tell from the site or pictures?

Any help on a UK BOM would be great! I've done most of it but got trouble on the last few bits.

UPDATE Farnell codes seem to be

Metric with PCB Terminals
Non-shorting

422-496 = 4x3

422-472 = 2x6

422-496 = 4x3

Latest posts

Back