DBX 119 - No Compression

GroupDIY Audio Forum

Help Support GroupDIY Audio Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Jim50hertz

Just got hold of one of these wee units and... :sad:

The compression side ain't passing audio, the expansion side... loads more signal than i'll ever need!

More specifically, from 6 to about twelvo o'clock on the dial (compression side) there's no audio. Just before twelve on the dial the expander kicks in and the thing starts to pass audio.

Any ideas where to start troubleshooting?

Thanks again Roger, shall do

This may or may not shed more light on the problem but when the mode switch is in the 'above threshhold' position the LED is on solid, even when fed differing levels of input :?

DBX-119 No Compression
Hello
1. I just bought a used DBX-119. cleaned the connectors, pots & switch and it worked perfectly with Compression set about 1.4, Mode switch set to Above Threshold & Threshold set at 100mv for 3-1/2 movies, then suddenly no sound from either channel.
2. I isolated the problem to the 119, cleaned the pots further & re-soldered several connections on the bottom of the board that appeared poor.
3. Then reinstalled it, got blasting audio at first bit of Expansion side & seemingly normal as I turned it further clockwise - BUT turning CCW in Compression resulted in weak audio (required the amp be turned up very high) from 1.0 -> 1.1 that dropped off very rapidly to no audio by 1.2 and beyond, except with very slight sound with amp turned up very high.
4. Then cleaned and lubricated the pots but same result except the audio did not blast in the first bit of Expansion - just seemed normal.
5. Using the unit for a few hours set in the first small amount of Compression resulted in occasional loud "POPs" in both channels.s
6. Threshold settings from 100mv to 1 seemed to make no difference at all in the sound output.
7. I'm not a skilled technician and do not have a deep supply of parts, but I can solder and follow instructions.
Can anyone give me some guidance?
Thank you very much...Tom

Latest posts

Back