Newb to DIY

GroupDIY Audio Forum

Help Support GroupDIY Audio Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

funkdrmr

Hi everyone. WOW, I feel like I've stumbled upon a gold mine of information here! I don't even know how I found this forum, but I've been lurking around for 4 or 5 days straight (at work and at home!) just reading and reading!

I was about to purchase the Seventh Circle A12 kit, as I'll be recording rock music and I need a good batch of pres to track drums and other instruments with. I was going to go with 6 of the A12's, 2 N72's, and then later possibly some of the J99's. When I found this forum, I started thinking..........why get a kit like that when I can source the parts myself, learning more in the process?

Starting with the API pres, I'm having problems finding information on here regarding parts. Here & there I seem to find different lists, but I'm having problems locating a compiled list of parts, who to get PCB's from, and then power supplies & rack cases are a whole other issue. I'm still reading, but I thought I'd go ahead & ask while I'm still in the "research" phase.

Can anyone help me out with information regarding the 312 style preamps?

Thanks in advance for any help!

I haven't built or read much about the API's, but there is a nifty search feature located at the top of the page that might yield some information. ;)

However, if you're looking for a "batch" of pres to do various instruments with, at a decently affordable rate, check out JLM Audio's new 99v and Baby Animal preamp kits in the Black Market forum. They've gotten VERY good reviews, and are quite versatile from what I've read. I'm planning on picking up a set of 4 or 8 after I finish my G9. Read more about them in the forum, or at www.jlmaudio.com

Just wanted to offer an alternative...

Ryan

Yes it's either ebay for original Melcor 1731 or API, of couse, there are people who are less than thrilled with ebay, and you know what? These freaks took apart an original and bootlegged the darn thing, right here for the world can see can you believe it, can I get an Amen?
We are still trying to bail a guy who got set up by Paul Wolfe in 83.
So if you do anything illegal here, use the PM bootleg machine, eh?

Brothers and Sisters, please help this poor man out. He has a gig with the Sons of the Makaha this Sunday at the Royazl Hawain, for gosh sakes, and welcome to the lab, no, not everybody is gonna make you wonder what they are on, are we OK with that? Rejoice and read on.
Or subscribe to our monthly magizine, editor is a gal named Eve Anna, and she don't take any, so stand back when you be flappin, OK?
:grin:

Just curious, why transistors?
Tubes rock, and they don't go around in circles due to thermal cycling.

Can you say EF804?
Howabout 6072?
Can you conjigate the verb filament?

The first preamp I ever built was this one:

http://www.jensentransformers.com/as/as017.pdf

I used parts from a local electronics surplus store plus transformers from Reichenbach (input) and api (output). Sounds quite nice, actually, and is a simple build. The schematic doesn't show an output transformer, but I just hung it after C3 (470uF bipolar) wired in 1:2 which gives an additional 6dB gain (approximately).

This circuit is remarkably similar to a 312 in design and function, but it uses a 5534 DIP instead of the discrete 2520. Since you're new to DIY it might be a good idea to just start with this and then, as you get your feet under you, then you can tackle building your own Melcor or api opamp.

If you try it, I do recommend using an output tranformer instead of the quasi-balanced schem shown as it sounds nicer (particularly if its got M6 laminations).

Jensens are great, but a little expensive. Cinemags are also great, and cost less.

This would be a great start, and you can add other designs as you learn, though I doubt you will ever feel the need to get rid of these as they do sound very nice.

JC

That pretty well describes a JLM Baby Animal board
http://www.groupdiy.com/index.php?topic=13739&postdays=0&postorder=asc&start=0

Back