Peerless S-217-D

GroupDIY Audio Forum

Help Support GroupDIY Audio Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I hope this helps :wink:
Cheers :guinness:
Peerless.gif

Weird. Two 217 posts in one day.
You guys are killin me!

This is the transfomer that sits at #1 on my dissection list , but has eluded me for years.
Really curious about this classic. I manged to get pretty far, but same old story, you get 4 out of 5 pages of the pdf, but the last one remains elusive.
I got great help from Winston on this one. As well as Mike at Magnequest, who did wind a batch.
He has the only remaining 12L lams that I know of in the world. I tried to negotiate a sale, but he kept changing his mind, so I gave up after the 4th try.

I have most of the winding info and tidbits of various interest compiled from phone calls to a few peiople who have taken one apart, but are un willing to give out the info, due to the fact that they do this tyre of thing to pay the rent.

The one top secret bit of info I gleaned is that one of the coils is put on the core backwards. Kind os a chep way to reverse wind a transformer.

You can build this up on a different core and it will probably sound pretty close to the original. Doc Hoyer has some C cores he was gonna use for a 217 build, but the guy flaked, so he has all these cores for sale, 5 bucks each if you want to wind a Peerless.

cj

I have built several EPQ-1 amplifiers using different transformers, but they dont have that certain "sound" that the original has.

Any information on winding one that you can give me would be greatly appreciated!

Sorr

Latest posts

Back