Birth of a Speaker Cab pics inside. Guitbox players comment?

GroupDIY Audio Forum

Help Support GroupDIY Audio Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

pucho812

o.k. guys I have to post this I am so excited. We made a mock cab this weekend for the amp we will be eventually be making and selling. Before we saw pics of the prototype amp head. Now check out this wookwork mock up. It's not sanded down and stained to a shine. But the idea is there...

( we started with a square duh)
cab.jpg

(held together with some nice dovetailing)
Dovetailing.jpg

(and here we see the mock up finished)
mockcabandprotoamp.jpg

whats left to do is make the wood frame for the amp head and well the usually of sanding and finishing. it's going to be nuts. Already it sounds so good and we A/B amps with a supro that is the same model used on led zepplin I ours sounded better and more quiet and there isn't a bottom plate under the chassis yet :shock: But for A/B tesing used our cab on both amps. woohoo. One step closer to awwww shit :twisted:

nice job! what kind of wood are you using? how did you come up with the specific dimensions for that cabinet, it looks quite big for a 1x12"? great work on the dovetails! I would cover it with some nice tolex and maybe paint the front speaker panel black, so that if you cover it with speaker cloth the wood does not show through. :thumb: Marten

oh, what speaker did you put in? I am looking for a new 12" for my fender princeton, the greenback that was in there all the years has had too much suffering :sad:

very nice pucho!
Nice job on using solid pine for the cab! :thumb:
The baffle looks to be plywood, no?
You might want to try experimenting with different thicknesses of plywood for the speaker baffle....personally I like a thin baffle (3/8"-1/2") for a cab of that size. Constructing a cab like this breaks all hifi speaker cab construction rules, but you are making an "instrument" here, the cab will be resonant and not "tight" at all. (but I love the feel and sound of that)
Great work!
Freddy G :sam:

[quote author="TriggerX"]The speaker looks smaller that a 12". Is it?[/quote]

I think it's just rear-mounted so you don't see all the surround.

Nice woodwork. Is the box open-back or closed, also are the dimensions calculated properly to avoid standing waves inside the box? I mean you can't obviously avoid standing waves but you can select the dimensions (H&W&D) so that the modes are evenly distributed. For an example none of the dimensions should be the same one of the others. For me it looks like the height and width are pretty close to each other.

Give Freddy A cigar and a :guinness: :thumb:

For starters it's a 10" not a 12" speaker.
YEs it is pine but that was for mock up. We are actually going to make them out of maple. The front baffel of plywood was thrown there so we could check out the speaker as we been jones to hear that webber since we got it. They are handbuilt and took them a month to get it to us. :shock:
Obviously the front baffel on the final units will not be plywood.

Actually freedy we were following some basic HI-FI rules that I picked up from working @ westlake Audio who design and makes their own speakers.

Yeah the one knob is going to stay. Just wait till the corners are rounded from sanding, it gets stained and we have the chassis mounted into it's own wooden box with purty dove tails. :twisted:

Freddy here is a thoght a plexiglass baffle so one can see right threw it :?

Yellow pine might be worth a try if you can find any.
(1950's Fender Bassman etc)
Cheap back then.

You might try a floating baffleboard. That means using four screw, two on each side only, none on the top or bottom.Lets the board move with the speaker more, thus increasing volume.

[quote author="martthie_08"]! I would cover it with some nice tolex and maybe paint the front speaker panel black, so that if you cover it with speaker cloth the wood does not show through. :thumb: Marten
[/quote]

Tolex :? :mad: NO way. cover up some nice dovetails I don't think so.

The speaker was a custom job that took about a month to build by hand so says the people who did it. It sounds so good right now. :grin: :thumb:

YEs it is pine but that was for mock up. We are actually going to make them out of maple.

Well, maple is more expensive, harder to work (dovetails) and it's not going to sound the same.

Obviously the front baffel on the final units will not be plywood.

Why not? Plywood is great for the baffle....I would try CJ's "floating baffle" idea too.
What I'm getting at is this....if you think the cab sounds great the way it is, don't change it!
Cheers,
Freddy :sam:

Well freedie maple is not set in stone and we still experimenting. I wanted a plexiglass baffle so one could see right threw it. But the idea is still open and until we do a final proto we will still be playing around with ideas. but cool man.... Now if I could just find a place to host freee sound clips :twisted:

Latest posts

Back