SSL mod: switch between feedforward and feedback compression

GroupDIY Audio Forum

Help Support GroupDIY Audio Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Well, it was indeed that one.  
I have powered the comp up to check if it's working and ran some audio through it, but that's about it. The sound is interesting, but if this mod is really usefull to me... it's not something I can tell right away. I'd have to use it a bit first, hahaha. The threshold wasn't a real problem to me, until I used the more extreme settings for ratio/attack/release.

Oh, here's a (blurry) picture showing where the resistor is located :
IMG_6814.jpg

(it's the lifted resistor where the twisted pair of black and white leads are going to)

BTW, The compressor behaves differently when set to "turbomode". I must figure out why, maybe I've done something wrong, I haven't looked into it yet.
But this is it for now. Now I'm going to hook up the metering of my console.

grtz,
Paul

has anyone actually implemented this mod?
If so, is it possible to upload some samples for comparison?
I've been always thinking of trying it but never had the time or the unit at home.

A sample of comparison is a bit difficult, and pretty useless as well, because it's a different compressor when you switch over to FF mode. (you can't compare apples to... strawberries).
Also, when you switch to FF mode the threshold changes immediately, and besides that, there's a big chance that you want to change all the other parameters as well.

Better try it for yourself. It's 5 minutes of work. Just take out one pin of the mentioned resistor. Then you can decide yourself whether you want to have a switch for it or not.

helterbelter said:
Well, it was indeed that one.  
I have powered the comp up to check if it's working and ran some audio through it, but that's about it. The sound is interesting, but if this mod is really usefull to me... it's not something I can tell right away. I'd have to use it a bit first, hahaha. The threshold wasn't a real problem to me, until I used the more extreme settings for ratio/attack/release.

Oh, here's a (blurry) picture showing where the resistor is located :
IMG_6814.jpg

(it's the lifted resistor where the twisted pair of black and white leads are going to)

BTW, The compressor behaves differently when set to "turbomode". I must figure out why, maybe I've done something wrong, I haven't looked into it yet.
But this is it for now. Now I'm going to hook up the metering of my console.

grtz,
Paul

Cool, thanks for trying it out.  I'll definately try it on mine. 
BTW, not to change the subject...but I noticed you've got no .1uF film caps on your GSSL.  I know some people remove the ones that are electrolytic bypass caps, but some of them you've left out are PSU bypass caps.  What's the reason for leaving them out?

They're located on the solderside, hahaha.

I was already curious who would notice this.  ;D

Today I've been playing a bit with the FF compression. I think I know what Matthias meant with the Threshold range. I can find the threshold spot pretty well, but when the ratio is set to 10:1, the result is horrible. When set to 4:1 or 2:1 the threshold problem is pretty much solved. (Although it's also depending to the attack and release settings of course.)

I still haven't figured out whether the FF is really usable (for me), but I do know that you'd better install the Internal Crush 'n Blend board if you want to use the FF function. I don't have the supersidechain in my GSSL, but I serious think this will benefit to the FF compressionmode as well. (darn, I have no room for that inside my GSSL!).

Latest posts

Back