Bauman PSU Troubles!!!! (the troubles that never ends)

GroupDIY Audio Forum

Help Support GroupDIY Audio Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I have a pretty big heatsink, well...as big as it can be without touching the other regulators. The strange thing is that the regulator wasnt even very hot to touch when it broke down.

Problem is, the way i have my psu mounted, i cant really bolt the regulators to the chassis.

Atleast not without moving (and drilling new holes) the psu to another location.

Or i would have to mount the regulator with wires, but that would look totally stupid.

What about Mike Keiths suggestion about using diodes to lower the voltage to the regulator?

Good or bad idea?

Also mike,

i really dont understand at all what you mean by this post:
When you get to the output trans part make sure you notice which wire goes to ground and output cap, it can make a big difference...
Just a thought..

Like I said a diode is like a .7volt reg, it will work, far better than the resistor ...you may have to use 4 to 6 diodes to get the voltage down enough.
But if your tapping off the + 15 reg you will not need it.

The trans point was referring to the In/Out wiring, If you pull all the trans out of the console to rack them for ex. make sure you note which was in, which was out ect...
Some trans prefer a certain wire going to ground on the input...make note of the phase...
This is a fact amoung even the best trans...

But if your tapping off the + 15 reg you will not need it.

+15v reg? There is no +15v reg, im running my apis at +/-24v so i can use the +24 for the neve. Lots of headroom!! And the melcor DOA im using can take it no problem! :green:

I have some 1n4004 diodes at home, cant wait to try it out when i get there.
/J

I tried using 5 1n4004 diodes to lower voltage some, and the ran the unit with two of the relays enabled for a couple of hours. Now the 7805 gets 29v at its input, is that ok?

Seems to work!!!! Im still holding my breath though.

I dunno if the +5v rail filtering caps on the other pres are ok, but they look ok. Since they were 25v maybe they can take 27volts for shorter periods of time without failing?

I didnt replace them, and the pres seem to be working ok.

what would probably happen if the werent working 100% anymore? Any easy way to check?

My box is so tightly packed i really dont want to replace anything not absolutely necessary.

/J

Latest posts

Back