C84 withouth the SCA PSU???

GroupDIY Audio Forum

Help Support GroupDIY Audio Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

3nity

Any ideas???
I ordered a C84 and i already put it together....
But i want to know if there is any Power supply i could use or should i stick to their PSU????

i didn't ordered with in cuz budget is tight... :oops:

C84

... :roll: ... a Seventh Circle transformerless Mic-pre ?

probably a simple +/- supply with phantom

yeah I'll probably suggest a JLM 3 way and a toroid
but people are probably fed up with me suggesting JLM all the time
:roll:

Right Kev transformeless pre.
This pre needs +18-18 to +24-24 to pin 1 and 3 pin 2 is the electronical ground.
pin 4 and 6 are grounds and pin 5 is the 48V

thank you.

For the +/- voltages, there is already a regulated supply on the board that's adjustable from ~+/-14V to ~+/-24V. All you would have to do is apply +/- rectified AC from a full wave bridge rectifier.

Connect a center-tapped AC transformer secondary to the rectifier's "~" pins and center tap to pin 2 of J3 (ground). Connect rectifier?s "+" pin to pin 1 of J3 and rectifier's "-" pin to pin 3 of J3. Adjust the voltage so that your regulators have enough voltage drop across them to do their job (typically > 2.5 volts across regulator is a safe haven), depending on the size transformer you end up with. Anything between 15V-0-15V and 22V-0-22V should work just fine.

Now the 48V is another story...

You need to build some type of voltage multiplier to give you >51 or so rectified volts and then regulate that down to 48V. Check out the supply for Peter C's Green pre. You can just build the 48V section and you're there. Be sure and connect it to the transformer correctly.

If your intention is to save money, the SCA or other kit may be the best for you...

If your intention is to learn, SSLTech's (right?) power supply is a good one. Maybe a mod of the green pre power supply with different regulators? THat'd give you the phantom...

Search, search, search

Actually you know how much it will cost me the SCA psu??
to much money, and at this price i'm sure i can build at least 2.
And far from save money the thing is learning or practice what once i did learn...

hi 3nity,
flatpicker is right. You could use Peter C.'s power supply if you can etch a board yourself. I think on his website there is modifications to use his mic pre PSU for +/-18V and +48V PP supply. This might be the simplest answer. You will not need the regulation on board the C84 since Peter's PSU will give you all the power you need. You just have to figure out where to connect your power from the PSU to the C84 board. you could replace all the C84 regulator parts with jumpers or just tap into a point of the circuit where the +/-18V feeds to. The +48V would connect to where it would normally go.
here's a link to Peter C.'s site: http://1176neve.tripod.com/id11.html
hope this helps.
-grant

Latest posts

Back