Messy Boogers... -er... Mesa Boogies

GroupDIY Audio Forum

Help Support GroupDIY Audio Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

SSLtech

Never opened one up before. Recorded a few, but never popped the top.

I have an out-of town coming into town tomorrow, that wants his boogie re-tubed and "pots cleaned". -He has the tubes to put in there.

Quick question: -Since I have about an hour to do this tomorrow, and I've never peered inside one before, Everything easy to get to?
Thanks,

Keith

which model is it... their are LOTS of boogie amps......

I have a newer triple rectofier ( ans schems too if you need them, which you wont) tubes are REAL simple... no bias adjustments... its easier and better to use mesa tubes. pre amp tubes are way easier to chance with the chasis out of the "box" (4 bolts on the bottom)

if you have any problems.. call mesa... they are kool dudes over there.. one quick phone call, and they faxed me some mod schems for the fx loop..

Keith,

They're not too bad, depending on the operation...I can't remember if the pots on mine are sealed or not. :roll:

The brand/selection of tubes one puts in these amps will change the tone DRASTICALLY. Having experimented a bit in this area, I would highly recommend replacing all tubes with those selected and distributed by the Mesa Boogie factory. Boogies don't have a trimmer for adjusting the bias on the power tubes. The tech staff there is very easy to get ahold of by phone and are happy to help with any questions about tube selection vs. tone, maintenance, etc.

Dean

Since we are on the subject.

I have a MB Heartbreaker Combo and noticed that it seems to have a lot of low end. I can adjust the Treble and Bass and it seems to not do much.

Would tube changes help with this? ..or is it just me :)

Thanks,
Michael

I agree with NY Dave....I work on these all the time (I work at an Authorized Repair place for M/B). Very well built amps and for the most part, they use high quality parts. One thing I've noticed over the years though is that the backs of the pots tend to pop off or loosen up. I think it's caused by the top of the knobs getting bashed by moving them around carelessly. The loose backs will cause intermittent dropouts/noise in whatever circuit that pot happens to be in. I just remove the offending pot(s) and clinch the metal tabs back over the pot body with a pair of needlenose pliers. Also Mesa loves(!) LDRs....all kinds of 'em. Their amps are festooned :wink: with'em. It took me a while to gigure out their switching scheme but once you have one figured out, they are all basically the same (same design engineer).
Good Luck,
TP

Switched out the tubes, cleaned the pots, customer happy.

He had the Mesa tubes, I printed out a load of labels to identify and date the removed tubes, to be kept as spares.

It was a triple rectifier, 150W head, as it turned out. QUite nice. lots of orange-drops inside! -even the relays were orange!

Keith

Back