Cinema Engineering 103-A schematic?

GroupDIY Audio Forum

Help Support GroupDIY Audio Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jamesfei

Hello. I just acquired a Cinema Engineering 103-A, a mono monitoring amp. Does anyone have schematics for this or the 101 preamp and 102 booster? Cinema was Art Davis' company before he went Langevin and Altec, also made attenuators, etc. Lots of custom consoles were based on these modules, they also made the insane graphic eq shown in the Audio Cyclopedia (never seen one of these!).

The amp is 6SL7 to 6SN7 driving push-pull 6L6's. 5U4 rectifier. Triad power and choke. Input looks like Triad as well, can't tell who made the potted output. Shouldn't be too bad to trace out, but I'd love to see more info on Cinema modules if anyone has them.

Best,

James

Cinema schematics are rare birds, indeed. I've been collecting documents of tube studio and broadcast equipment for a few years and I've never even seen a Cinema schematic.

A set of '50s Cinema catalogs turned up recently on evilBay. I was outbid, but I contacted the winning bidder about obtaining scans and we're "in negotiations." I'll let you know how it goes.

I have some magazines from the early fifties with small ads for Cinema preamps and boosters which I'd be happy to dig out and scan, if you'd like to see them.

Thanks Dave, I'd love to see the ads. It's too bad that the schematics are so scant given that these things were widely used. I have some Einhorn (Audio Fax) articles on console building using Cinema modules, but no specifics--just standard designs with fixed gain blocks, attenuators, etc.

It doesn't look like they made their own transformers, though they had their own line of resistors (and attenuators, of course--love that logo).

James

Hmmm... Are those Einhorn articles his AES papers? If so, I've seen them. If not, I'd love to...

I'm staying inside today due to fighting off a cold, so I should be able to find time to dig out those Cinema ads and scan them.

Sorry I spelled the name incorrectly, it's Erhorn. And indeed they are the AES papers. I like the one about home recording systems, a serious "mini" console...

James

[quote author="NewYorkDave"]Hmmm... Are those Einhorn articles his AES papers? If so, I've seen them. If not, I'd love to...

I'm staying inside today due to fighting off a cold, so I should be able to find time to dig out those Cinema ads and scan them.[/quote]

Latest posts

Back