How Do I Take Apart an AKG D12?

GroupDIY Audio Forum

Help Support GroupDIY Audio Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

MRP

I recently aquired an old D12. It sounds great, but something is loose inside, and besides taking off the stand mount, there seem to be no exposed screws/bolts/whatever. Does anyone know how it's done, or do I just have to wrassle it open?

IIRC, there are screws to remove the plasic band, they're just covered in black wax so they're hard to see. remove the wax from the small recesses found on the underside of the plastic base and you should be able to get to them.

Okay, I got it open after digging the wax/sealant from the countersunk screw holes. Now, a totally different question- It seems the output transformer has been bypassed--the cannister beneath the main diaphram/motor assembly (which I'm assuming is the trafo) has four leads that have all been cut--now the output is wired straight from the diaphram. Was this done in order to make the mic's impedance more compatible with modern pres (this is an original D12 with the pigtail output)? Has anyone else run across this or done it themselves?

hmm, sounds like the '57 mod' that's so popular w the kids these days. :wink:

who's to say why someone decided to bypass the transformer. it may have a broken winding or something. if it were mine i'd hook it back up and try it.

The transformer is probably just for Hi-Z.

The coil alone will probably be either 50 or 200 Ohms. Try measuring the DC resistance of the coil.

IIRC, my D12s do not use transformers and are 200 Ohm. Most AKG moving coils are 200 Ohms.

Back