Replacement Transfomer for MXL V67

GroupDIY Audio Forum

Help Support GroupDIY Audio Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

craigmorris74

GDIY Supporter
Got one of these cheap and looking to play around with the stock ciruit a bit (yes, I know the capsule is limited). Was looking for suitable replacements for the transfomer (2:1?). Any suggestions?

P.S.-Read the META, but never saw any specific suggestions.

You get 30 to 20 K with the 67, why the new transformer?

Souping up a sparrow hawk does not make an eagle.

Throw the capsule in the trash, buy an M7 capsule from Gus (ask him about his private stash), swap the fet for a valve and your back in biz.

I wish I had a bunch of m7s!

CJ tested the stock one then relammed a v67 transformer for me. IIRC CJ said it measured better

when I installed it in the microphone with changed caps(note I did not post upgraded, pick the caps for what you want)
I don't remember it causing a big difference. I believe that was do to the fact it is being driven by a EF in the microphone.

The microphone capsule and grill can work well at somethings look for the honeybear post in the meta.

[quote author="Gus"]I wish I had a bunch of m7s!
[/quote]

Ok, Gus. Yeah, we believe you...... :wink: :razz:

scuse the ot, surfin craigs list for the first time fo mics,
is this a deal, depending on codition, obviously:

"I have an AKG c451 b for 300 obo, and sE electronics 2200a lagre condensor for 225 and a nady ribbon mic rsm2 for 150. check these prices and they will all fall under ebay prices, these are all new mics and hardly used."

and this:

AKG C 1000 S Condenser Microphones $159 each
Brand New. Still sealed in box. Two available

[quote author="CJ"]AKG C 1000 S Condenser Microphones $159 each
Brand New. Still sealed in box. Two available[/quote]
C1000 are available brand-new, 2 for $300 all over the place...

Nice utility mic btw. Pretty much a SD condensor "SM57", if you can excuse my terminology. It works well on a lot of sources...how's that?

:grin:
Charlie

Either re-lam the transformer or leave it stock - there's no drop-in replacement that I know of. However, I have this little suspicion that swapping that last transistor out with a darlington might kick it's butt real good! May have to re-bias some to, don't know for sure. Have not tried this myself, though, since I don't have a mic like that. I aims to try it someday.

rebias?

a fet? look at the vishay fet ap notes

a bjt? a good place to check http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Transistor

a mosfet? look at the vishay fet ap notes

look for the brauner phantom thread in the meta then compare the circuits.

man, i never get any love from c1000s. i have one of those 2 for 300 pairs, and I just can't use it. Maybe there's a pre for it, i dunno. i don't have a selection to try, so yeah... but god, I really can't get anything but trash out of that mic. except snare sometimes.

billy

[quote author="craigmorris74"]Question I should know the answer to at this point: How do you rebias a transistor?[/quote]
You really should decide which darlington you are going to use first. Otherwise, how are you going to know how it should be biased?

Latest posts

Back