beyerdynamic CK 703 capsule

GroupDIY Audio Forum

Help Support GroupDIY Audio Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ioaudio

6c_1_b.JPG

does somebody know anything about this capsules?

the only info i´ve found so far:
http://members.aol.com/mihartkopf/beyer_c.htm#CK

I think this is an AKG capsule

EDIT: Maybe not, I thought so because of the CK prefix, but it seems beyer uses that too..

It is a Beyer.

More info. / pictures here:

http://www.saturn-sound.com/index/a-c.htm

These should be good. I am trying to get some just now...

thanks rodabod!

meanwhile i wrote a mail to beyerdynamic, hope they can help me out.
the connector of the capsule has three pins, i wonder if its a electret capsule?

[quote author="ioaudio"]...i wonder if its a electret capsule?[/quote]

Hmmm. Why would three terminals suggest it was an electret? I am guessing it is a polarised condenser, but I suppose it could be electret.

I think there are two available in Germany on Evilbay.

I am waiting for a guy in the UK to get back to me about two which he wants to sell.

maybe i thought this because of of the fet circuit- which doesnt give a hint about that either...whatever.
i think i will build a nice pair of tube mics.

what electronics are you planning to use, once you got the capsules?

[quote author="ioaudio"]
what electronics are you planning to use, once you got the capsules?[/quote]

Ahh! I think I will be getting the Beyer CV*** amplifiers with them - like the ones in the photo in that link. Did you notice the Beyer transformers used? Interesting... I wonder if they distort, and I wonder what the bass response is like.

i just used one of my beyers 10:1 as an output for my ldc mic. in that particular circuit the bass response is very nice.

i will also use beyer transformers for these capsules, but before i can start with the circuit i must know how to connect them...

[quote author="ioaudio"]i just used one of my beyers 10:1 as an output for my ldc mic. in that particular circuit the bass response is very nice.
[/quote]

Great!

If Beyer Germany can not help, then try Beyer UK. They gave me a service sheet / disassembly sheet for an M 260 ribbon mic.

meanwhile i managed to open the capsule-there is some electronic inside.looks like a smd fet for signal+some circuity for condenser polarisation.

[quote author="ioaudio"]meanwhile i managed to open the capsule-there is some electronic inside.looks like a smd fet for signal+some circuity for condenser polarisation.[/quote]

Photos!!!!!! :razz:

Beyer simply describe this microphone as a FET small-diaphragm condenser.

Is it simple to bypass the circuitry? Maybe you could try the capsule wired to a common small diaphragm condenser body - eg. Oktava MK012 to try it (obviously you will need to consider polarisation voltage....)

Hopefully Beyer will help!!

no photos :sad: no camera at the moment...
but i´l try using the capsule on my sdc mic tube head, its made for a akg ck1 with 60v polarisation, i´ll report back if it works.

[quote author="ioaudio"]no photos :sad: no camera at the moment...
but i´l try using the capsule on my sdc mic tube head, its made for a akg ck1 with 60v polarisation, i´ll report back if it works.[/quote]

Cool.

Be careful if it is actually electret..... We don't want it to go up in smoke!

yes, that seems worky - further assembling led to the conclusion that it´s a polarised capsule. i still don´t know the proper polarisation voltage, hope that i get an answer from from beyer.

but no, i cant wait - i´ll try with a 1mohm pot as voltage divider, starting from 30 or so volts.

do i destroy the membrane when it sucks to the backplate because of to much volts?

[quote author="ioaudio"]
do i destroy the membrane when it sucks to the backplate because of to much volts?[/quote]

Hmmm. I am inclined to say "no". I think you should be ok. If the diaphragm gets suddenly "sucked" onto the backplate at, say, 80V when it should be at 60V, then I think it would be ok.

However, if say, you put 120V on it when it should really be at 30V, then you might be in trouble!

Maybe try 60V as a guess... I would ask Gus, Marik, Dale, or PRR as they are always very knowledgable.

By the way, I have been offered a pair of these capsules with the CV710 amplifiers for £100 - do you think this is a good deal?

It says on Michael Hartkopf's page that they were originally DM 1200 each!

Hi Ioaudio,

By the way, what is your real name?

Anyway, I received my two Beyer CV710 amplifiers with the two CK703 heads. They sound very nice to me with a clear high-end which is not brittle at all. Great!

I can maybe do some simple tests to work out the polarisation voltage.... Maybe not though, if the voltage is multiplied (from 48V) inside the head...

Let me know how you get on with yours!

Roddy

hi roddy,

meanwhile someone of beyer responded to my mail, unfortunately he only described how to use a microfon with phantompower. but i wrote him again in more detail, probably i´ll get an answer or an schematic.
but if i dont get an answer it would be very nice if you could check voltages.
i could open the capsule quite easy by unscrewing the head.

beyer_capsule_open.jpg

some pics of the electronic:
http://groupdiy.twin-x.com/albums/userpics/10055/beyer_electronic2.jpg
http://groupdiy.twin-x.com/albums/userpics/10055/beyer_electronic.jpg

best regards, max

Hi Max,

Excellent macro photos!

I will see if I can find out any voltages this week - I only have a cheap multimeter though, so measuring high-impedance areas is not possible...

These microphones seem very good quality to me. I am looking forward to recording with them.

Roddy

shure, you would have to measure it before the 1 gig resistor. but dont destroy your new mics!!!

looking at this picture made me thinking... http://www.saturn-sound.com/images/beyer%20dynamic%20cv710%20and%20ck703.jpg
i see some difference from these capsules, the part of mine housing the pcb has one ring which isnt shown in the foto of the cv710. maybe the electronics in mine is all there is...i´ll have another look.

rod, did you already record something with your mics? still pleasured?
i was confirmed that my capsules+electronics where meant to work without any further microfone head, featuring low impedance balanced out with that lemo plug, powered by +48v. maybe i leave them as they are and use it for field recording.

Back