Behringer Schematics - is it even worth it?

GroupDIY Audio Forum

Help Support GroupDIY Audio Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Milkmansound

my crappy behringer mixer died... took it apart and its got a tiny little switching power supply in it. I am not sure how to troubleshoot this PSU - but it appears that something is causing the voltage to pulse on and off. Caps seem to be fine - there is one weird IC in there a TOP245Y however it also appears to check out just fine. There is no voltage at any of the regulators except for one, and its just coming in about .5 second bursts of about 6V...

I guess I got my $200 out of this thing, since I bought it a little over a year ago - but if I can find or build a new power supply for it, I suppose it would be useful to keep it around.

anyone have schematics for any behringer mixers? The model number is 1832FX

or anyone around NYC really handy with switch mode psu's?

check the solder at the electro caps, then check the caps if does not work. Electros are often the first part to fail in modern switchers I have worked on.

if the PSU part is separate from the mainboard, disconnect it and run the PSU by itself. the oscillation is likely caused by the current/voltage feedback circuit turning the controller IC on and off when it shorts and resets. let it do it too much and the FET will pop if it already hasn't.

If you still won't be able to find the problem, as a last resort you could easily throw together a "conventional" PSU, with voltages needed.

thats kind of what I am looking to do - I can just make an external PSU for this thing out of scrap parts that I have here

I just need the schematic to make sure I know the proper voltages - although, I have an idea that its +/- 15V 5V and 48V from the look of whats inside - tons of opamps, switchable phantom (which I do not even need cause this is mostly a line mixer for my synths)

otherwise, I might just scrap the hell out of this thing and use the parts for a large midi controller or something. Hell, it was so cheap - no one said it had to be used for audio!

Did you have a look at the datasheet/app notes for the switchmode chip (TOP245Y) yet?

Click

This is from the same family as a chip used on of the DriveRack pieces, I believe. Hope that's helpful!
Charlie

yeah, I looked at that - I think I will just add one onto my next parts order, replace it and hope that its the thing that died. From the looks of the excessive heat sinking on this IC, its probably running really hot and might be the culprit.

I dont really care though - the sound of my setup doubled in quality when I bypassed this mixer. I might just hack it to bits and put a passive one together with the parts. I am really just mixing line level sources here - nothing crazy - the behringer board has all of the input and output jacks mounted on one thin PCB - perfect for that analog summing box! At this point that is worth a lot more to me than this mixer...

Behringer isn't THAT BAD ... it's okay for PA and home-recording.
It doesn't have the performance, the professional hardware has.

The main problem are the cheap parts and the cheap productions.
The gears are created for good mass-production.

Most of the schematics and ideas are also used in the big gears.
I would call it "standard schematics". Know for tens of years.
But there, the PCBs and parts are selected for audio.

Hi,

Check the diodes on the secondary think they are HER333 or something similar.
My guess is one of them is shorted out.

jonas.

[quote author="Milkmansound"]my crappy behringer mixer died... took it apart and its got a tiny little switching power supply in it. I am not sure how to troubleshoot this PSU - but it appears that something is causing the voltage to pulse on and off. Caps seem to be fine - there is one weird IC in there a TOP245Y however it also appears to check out just fine. There is no voltage at any of the regulators except for one, and its just coming in about .5 second bursts of about 6V...

I guess I got my $200 out of this thing, since I bought it a little over a year ago - but if I can find or build a new power supply for it, I suppose it would be useful to keep it around.

anyone have schematics for any behringer mixers? The model number is 1832FX

or anyone around NYC really handy with switch mode psu's?[/quote]

what kind of voltage doest it use? I have read some fine articles about switching power supplies in this month Elector. Could be useful for you.

so far
each time I have contacted the local Behringer importer ... they have given me the specific schematic that I have asked for ...

with each email comes the usual
we can only give circuits to authorised service centres that have signed NDA agreements
blah, blah

the trouble I do have is the replacement part

on two occasions the replacement transistor has made it un-economical to fix

'tis the era of throw away electronics

by chance, do you have the be*ringer GI100 DI box schematics?
I have looked for that eschematic for a long time .

with each email comes the usual
we can only give circuits to authorised service centres that have signed NDA agreements
blah, blah

that is funny I remmember the troubles with boss and tech21.

my part came today - put it in...

who said behringer products can not be repaired!!!

mixer lives again, for 20 cents

repairman - thanks so much! If you ever visit brooklyn I owe you a beer!

Just glad I couldt help.

Iám actually going to USA in a few weeks, but I will only be visiting the westcoast
But mayby next time I´ll take you up on your offer.

Jonas

Back