SSL tech ! any info on the 5000 series

GroupDIY Audio Forum

Help Support GroupDIY Audio Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

andre tchmil

Hi SSL tech.
Someone is offering me his 5048 desk.
24 channels.
He's on holiday for a couple of weeks, so I hadn't had the chance to ask him alot.
Any good ?
all info very much appreciated .

thanks

I inquired about the SSL 5000 series a couple of years ago and was told to stay clear of the nightmare. Just an opinion :shock:

I second that,
go for a 4K you wont regret it a minute, except for the maintainancecosts :twisted:
Go shopping in the London area, you find them on every streetcorner, next to a crying man who went out of business. Have you heard the (sorry for cursing in a this temple) the PT SSL-plugins? They seem very close to the real thing. A have a good friend working with them daily, he stopped ordering SSL-studiotime since... (his words, not mine)

Here's a picture of the beauty (or beast).
that's the only info I have for now.
Must be 24 mono/6 stereo.
Desk is from 1992 and maintained on a monthly basis.

Maybe it's 5.1 ready

SSL5000.JPG

PT SSL Plugins . . . . .

Hmmm . . . . Likening them to the real deal is like saying Mamma Mia the musical, is JUST like ABBA, or Quuen the musical etc etc, yes, there is a passable interpretation of the tunes, but P_L_E_A_S_E don't try to tell me it's anything other than a reasonable impression. A bit like Karaoke.

One of our writers, who has PT SSL plugs, and SWORE that they sounded EVEN better than the real deal, (I kid you not!), condescended to coming in to record a vocal, especially since we have u48, sexy pre's/comps etc, pricked up his ears as I split the mix up the desk, unity gain, no eq/dyn, saying "what have you done? it sounds SOOOOO MUCH BETTER. . . . Now he wants me to mix EVERYTHING. Draw your own conclusions. If it really was as easy as purchasing "chameleon" of a plugin, then I would be shit scared of redundancy, I'm not. - Well not on THAT score anyway!

Don't Make Me Laugh! :green:

ANdy-may-I -Be-superglued-to-an-E-Series-P

Oh yeah,

I have only seen/used 5000 series in the BBC, and they DEFINATELY had pres! Most of them seem to be broken for racking. Must be for a good reason. I figure that most broadcast boards are not really that suitably configured for studio work. I do have great recollections of the mix compressor module. Like a 4000E mix comp, but more ratios iirc.

Seek out a 4000E iiwu. Worth every penny!

AndyP

I did some research and indeed, the 5K has a bad reputation.

Soundwise, heat build up, hard to find spare parts ., etc....

up to the next :green:

Back