new mics for Gus. Sonotronics mics.

GroupDIY Audio Forum

Help Support GroupDIY Audio Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Orpheus_lg.jpg

So I'm looking at this picture, and I'm thinking, "You know, I wonder if one of those teaballs at the local restaurant supplier would..."

:green:

Those mics are friggin HUGE. I'd only seen them on pictures before but saw them at the store a couple weeks ago. It's almost silly how big they are.

They do not write anything about the capsules. Might just be another chinese capsule mic. How can you write many pages about a mic and not mention the capsules. Come on...

Might be good anyway. Studio projects are china capsules mics and are very good. someone should try it. Making it huge might be a visual marketing tip.

I've heard good words about the SIGMA Active ribbon mic. Like any ribbon, it sounds great with drums. A friend recorded a whole kit with just one of them (+direct mic for kick) and it's a very full and detailed sound, like any good ribbon would give except for the obvious highend rolloff.

This one apparently needs no modding, but I'd have to use one myself to know that for sure.

actually the studio at my univesity has borrowed some of sontronics mikes to evaluate them (the stc-1, helios & sigma). i havnt tried any of them yet. the helios is a mighty ugly creation! i would feel silly to put it in front of a singer... the ribbon (sigma) looks nice, and sounds ok from what the others tell me. the nice looking shockmount doesnt seem to do mutch good though. apart from looking good. i am doing some recordings in a few weeks and i could do some a/b-ing if people are interested, but my guess is that they are not worth it.

[quote author="müx_micro"]my guess is that they are not worth it.[/quote]

Any particular basis to make that guess? I'd love to hear some sound samples, if you can... :thumb:

Peace,
Al.

[quote author="alk509"][quote author="müx_micro"]my guess is that they are not worth it.[/quote]

Any particular basis to make that guess? I'd love to hear some sound samples, if you can... :thumb:

Peace,
Al.[/quote]

could be the name is a turnoff? :razz:

[quote author="alk509"][quote author="müx_micro"]my guess is that they are not worth it.[/quote]

Peace,
Al.[/quote]

well, i just dont get a serious feeling of them. both the small and large condensers look kind of cheep and low quality. the sigma looks different though. i dont have a lot of experience on ribbon mikes, but if i get some sound files some more experienced users could give their opinions...

i might have a look inside to see what their made of :) but the school havent eaven bought them yet so if i fuck up ill look like a fool.

ill see what happens.

look. It seems that they sell capsules. Probably just $15.00 china capsules they resell in a good looking box for 4x the price...

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/Capsule-Modules-Sontronics-OMNI-Capsule_W0QQitemZ7408481483QQcategoryZ23784QQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem

Latest posts

Back