G7 PSU transformer tolerance

GroupDIY Audio Forum

Help Support GroupDIY Audio Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

sbranco

I am trying to build a G7 psu and got Amveco torroidal transformers from Digikey. With 124 V in I am getting 13 V out and that is with the 115V to 9V transformer.

For the other transformer I got 18 V out and that is with a 115V to 12V.

Granted I should have ordered a 15V for the second transformer but aren't these transformers out of tolerance? Hooked up back to back I get 175 VAC out of the second transformer before going to the bridge rectifier. I think when I first hooked it up I got about 230 VDC to the mic, which is way too high for the mic.

I suspect that I blew a couple of capacitors in the psu which were rated at 200V. And i am pretty sure that I need a new bridge rectifier as well.

If I return them to Digikey, is it reasonable to expect voltages closer to the rating? I think I need transformers closer to the rating and a 15V instead of a 12V but can anyone confirm that this likely caused my problem before I go to the trouble to send them back?

As soon as you put a load on there, the voltage will sag a bit.
You can use a light bulb or resistor.
You do not need to drag it down to anywhere near it's maximum rated current output to see this load/no load effect.
cj

I read on here somewhere that it would sag but someone else had it go down about 40 V. Still at 230VDC to the mic, we are 70V over the recommended voltage. I guess the better your transformer the less it will sag but still. And could it have blow the caps? Or did I discharge them one too many times?

BTW thanks for the reply CJ, you are the transformer guy!

Latest posts

Back