stopping corrosion in steel enclosure? (nabu 2U enclosure)

GroupDIY Audio Forum

Help Support GroupDIY Audio Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

kato

I bought an old piece of electronics (circa 1983) for the sole purpose of trashing the guts and using the box. The metal seems to be corroded.

Can anyone recommend a way to stop the corrosion from spreading. I want to build an 1176 in here that will last another 20 years.
TIA for any advice. (Kato)

01-box.jpg

02-outside.jpg

03-inside.jpg

04-crap_inside.jpg
(I don't know if any of this crap is worth anything - I'll probably just trash it all except the risers.)

05-totle_corrosion.jpg
(here's the problem)

06-decent_enclosure.jpg
(but when all is said and done, i think (hope) this will make a decent project enclosure.)

Dang, I can't remember the name of the stuff (only the chik who sells it). Look up "vapor rust inhibitor" on search. There are these things you can put into a computer chassis or whatever and it keeps it from rusting for over a year. It releases some sort of acidic vapor that prevents corrosion.

Maybe you can find something at home depot even.

jh

Rustoleum might do the trick. I used it to paint steel gate I put together, and 6 months later it hasn't rusted yet.

POR15 is supposed to be pretty good, I have a vat for a car restoration project, but haven't used it yet...it's probably more expensive than Rustoleum by a long shot.

sand it, then spray it with a zink based paint. It is not expencive, you can find it almost in every paint shop. It comes in spray and it costs a few euro, 6 euro i think I payed for it. If it is good enough for a car, it will certanly be good for your box.

Zinc primer might help.

I always remember laughing at the name of my primer - "Zinc 182". What were the chances of that?!

Thank you all for the helpful advice! I'll give it a good sanding, then look around for some zinc primer or rustoleum - maybe even zinc 182 :)

I bought this to save some dough over a par-metal enclosure. But given the extra work, and extra products I'll need - maybe I should have gone with par-metal.

I'll make the most of this though. I like a combination of super glossy and super ghetto in the same rack. Perhaps I'll label the front panel with a sharpie when I'm done.

Back