next SSL mod :) >> wet/dry mix control function

GroupDIY Audio Forum

Help Support GroupDIY Audio Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

matthias

I'm just working on my next modification...
additional wet/dry knob to mix between compressed and uncompressed signal...

It seems for me that I found a really simple way...
I just soldered a pot in line to reduce the level of the cv that leads to the vcas...

ssldrymix.GIF

:?: :?:
I don't know if thats technically correct, but it sounds it would...
:?: :?:
jakob posted a solution for that in another thread...
but I'd like to know if that additional 10kpot gets the same effect..??

jakob:
I haven't tried it yet, but I think that this would work:

It would be a simple upgrade - just solder five wires to the PCB, and mount the four needed 22uF electrolytics directly on the 10KB potentiometer..

Can anyone see a problem in this approach?
SSL_PAR_feed.gif

If it was a "real" feedback compressor it surely wouldn't - but as I see it, this would do the trick...?

Jakob E.

:roll:

mat

i don 't know what i'm talking about but why not just mult the inputs and do a passive sum of dry + wet, placing an attenuator on the dry. so to get normal operation you just turn down the dry.. (??)

I'd take a parallel feed after the input buffer, and sum it via a summing resistor into the inverting input of the first post VCA 5532. Set this up as a reostat (i.e. use a pot to vary the summing resistor between the post vca signal and pre-vca signal), and bingo you should have a wet/dry control.

Cheers,

Kris

thank you kris, that sounds easy, but I don't know exactly how to connect the resistors to the pot to get that reostat...

i guess the pot could be a 50k log
summing resistors 4k7 ??

mat

what about this ??

I reduced the function to a pot where you set the level of mixing
the "dry-signal" level to the postvca-signal
(so no wet/dry crossfadefunction anymore)

the advantage for me is that the level of the compressed signal doesn't get lower when mixing in the dry signal...
(because it seems that it's not possible to extend the make-up gain range in an easy way, I mentioned this in another thread...)

is that ok so ??
any other suggestions..??

ssldrymix2.GIF

thanks,
mat

I think you should rather try the circuit I have drawn. It will blend in direct signal down to zero, and will keep opamp DC voltages from disturbing the VCA.

Jakob E.

hi jakob, I just tried your circuit and it works quite well!!

but there's one annoying thing with the levels...
if I turn the additional 10k pot to "dry" and then increase the makeup gain pot...
the wet signal gets also louder again,
but there should only be dry signal...

so is there a way to avoid the "blend function" a
nd just to "add" the dry signal to the compressed signal ??

:?:

cheers,
mat

I'm finally getting around to trying the wet/dry blend thing on my ssl, but I'm having trouble figuring out where to connect the five wires to the pcb and how to configure the caps on the 10k pot as Jakob describes...

I know it would be some trouble but a little diagram or drawing for this would be a great help.

Thanks very much.

Chris

It would be great to do a wet dry mod (that can mix with and without insert) with the front/center/back pot on ssl. Does anyone tried this?
Thanks

Latest posts

Back