What IC Opamps at +/- 24V?

GroupDIY Audio Forum

Help Support GroupDIY Audio Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

TomWaterman

Greetings people!

I am looking for at IC opamps that can run on rail voltages of +/-24V. As far as I know, the Burr-Brown OPA(2)604 is the only one?

I am wondering if any of you know of others so we could perhaps compile a list for future reference.

It seems that many of the discrete opamps will run at 24V bipolar - JLM, Forssell, Hardy, Opamp Labs etc. Its a shame that there are not many ICs than can be used together with these without some power supply trickery.

Any input would be appreciated. Also if you know of any cool, old or new discrete ones then add them too.

Cheers Tom
:guinness:

24 volts is very high for the average 8 pin opamp.

It will mean much more heat dissipation and particularly on outputs that are feeding 600 ohm loads.
20 volts perhaps but much of this will not bring the benefits you seek.
:shock:
what are you in fact chasing here , is it just the mixing and matchng of discretes and IC opamps.

LM6172 has a max voltage rating of something like +/-36vdc. It's a great sounding opamp, but can be a bit fussy sometimes depending upon your circuit layout. It works best if you decouple it according to the data sheet specs.

There are some quiet ones that run up to +/- 22 volts (LT1115, for example - it's my favorite mic preamp opamp for now).

TI OPA445 fits the bill for high voltage but its noise is very high at 15 nV/rtHz. The LT1115 is somewhere around 0.9 nV/rtHz.

There are actually a lot of high voltage monolithic op-amps but they seem to have fairly high noise. If you're doing line amp stuff you may be able to live with it but as a mic pre it might be a bit noisy IMHO.

The standard linear IC process is called "36 Volt", because breakdown starts about 40V and they take a 10% safety margin on the published Max, and prefer you work it at 30V (+/-15V).

IC processes are capable of higher voltages but there is a compromise with Beta. Hi-volt transistors in general have lower Beta, and in an IC you can't play some games possible in individual transistors.

I don't know for sure how 36V became the standard process. Some of it is history: much op-amp tradition comes from the tube op-amps with +/-100V outputs (on +/-300V rails!). 100V is a nice easy number to scale your calculations to. It was impossible in early transistor op-amps, so +/-10V outputs became the new tradition: again easy to scale. With losses, +/-15V rails are plenty. Take a 20% safety margin from rated-Max, which is set 10% below the tested-Max, and you cook the ICs to come out around 40V break-down.

40V was always what you got if you didn't fight for anything special. There were always a few high-voltage chips. 5534 is always specified +/-22V, apparently a slight push on the standard 40V process. Some newer chips exceed 40V. I'm suspecting that after 30 years of making analog ICs. and a declining analog IC market (at least for ~40V parts), foundries are now able to find an idle fab machine and tinker the doping and bake-time to make small runs of higher-voltage parts.

Discrete transistors are available in a wider range of voltages. Discrete production isn't as fussy as IC production so fabs are willing to deviate from Standard Process; less risk of making duds.

In audio, early board designers were fighting noise and later ones were exploring the far limits of S/N. The Burr Brown type op-amps were not at all great audio amps, so there was no strong tradition of +/-15V rails. And from transformer-coupled vacuum tube pro-audio there was a strong tradition of +24dBm and higher, which in 600 ohms is 16V or so. That implies +/-24V rails, and 50-60V transistors were readily available. So there is a whole world of +/-24V audio. The Jensen is perhaps the most famous (and most copied) but there were many others. BTW: most of these old-type modules will run very happy with +/-15V rails. The oldest ones needed a bias-change, sometimes not possible when the module was potted. Most made in the last 20-25 years will take what you give them (adding a bias regulator is cheaper than stocking 2 or 3 different-volt versions).

But the "headroom" difference between +/-15V and +/-24V systems is only 4dB. Usually if "X db" is not enough, 4dB more is not really going to do the job. And (ignoring interface traditions) the important fact is usually signal to noise ratio, not signal level. If you can find a +/-15V amp that is 4dB quieter than your +/-24V amp, you get the same S/N result. With less power and heat. And for whatever reason, +/-15V or +/-18V opens up all the ICs made on "Standard" 40V processing.

Hi!!

Thanks all :guinness:

Kev - I am in fact looking for options that could be used as a servo amp for the Forssell 992 at +/-24V. I was just wondering if there were many choices, you know then I could look through a pick a suitable one. I think the OPA604 is a good IC - it seems Fred likes it himself.

In fact I'm looking at designing an instrumentation amp around the 992s. I may now run the 992s at a lower voltage so that I can get better chips in the buffers and servos. I thought the 992s were optimum at 24V bipolar.

PRR - thanks for headroom tips and the history lesson! I think the 992 will be just fine at 18 or 20V and it would allow for many more opamp choices.

I was interested as to why they were not many ICs made for this voltage because so much of our beloved pro audio runs at 24V.

Thanks a lot all
Regards Tom

OPA551, OPA552. Not a clever idea for a servo IMO but still better precision wise than a OPA604/OPA2604.

Two resistors, two zeners and two caps make a simple +/- 24 V to +/- 15 V converter, probably simpler than looking for a non-existing opamp.

LM6172 runs on 36 V total, not +/- 36 V. Anyone knows what topology they use to get that slew-rate of 3000 V/us? Class AB input stage?

Samuel

Latest posts

Back