US Source of the MAT-02 in the SSL 9k

GroupDIY Audio Forum

Help Support GroupDIY Audio Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
my mic pres use twin 2n4033's. I am sure something like this would be much better. anybody have experience with swapping these?

[quote author="jeroddumas"]Kinda steep price, guess I will have to go with it though.[/quote]
Why? It looks like they only cost $10 each if you buy direct from Analog. Look at the link I posted.

Best regards,

Mikkel C. Simonsen

[quote author="Svart"]my mic pres use twin 2n4033's. I am sure something like this would be much better. anybody have experience with swapping these?[/quote]
You have to be careful about the current range that you;re operating in. THese multi-cluster transistor circuits can swamp or starve, if you try to swap things out blindly...

Keith

thanks SSLtech, yeah I know I just haven't had time to do much research these days with all the "work" stuff that keeps getting in the way of my DIY, I was just hoping that someone had something like this and could tell me if they had problems or suggestions.

thanks all!

Haven't looked at the data sheet yet, but does anyone know if the mat-04 could be used and just use half of the chip. It looks like they are basically 2 mat-02's in a single package, or maybe someone could come up with a design to use one mat-04 in a dual 9k pre? Anyway, thought it might be interesting, their only $6.17 from Analog. Glad to know other people are working on these, I think I'm gonna start building some soon. :grin:

> if the mat-04 could be used and just use half of the chip. It looks like they are basically 2 mat-02's in a single package

The specified noise of the -04 is significantly higher than the -02, for both low-Z and high-Z sources. The only place they are equal is in the few-K ohm area, and any transistor can do good there.

The specification may be fudged: the -04 may typically be better than it says. Or it may really be worse than the -02 because maybe they put the four devices on the same size die as the two devices in the -02. At these impedance levels, you want acres of silicon. (But you still want very-clean silicon, and you still want pretty-high Beta.)

If you trust the spec sheets, the only reason to use the -04 is when you need FOUR matched devices. It simplifies some analog computing work, and you might design a gain-cell around a quad. But for microphones, we want to of the very best, meaning the -02.

The -02 specifically says it can replace the LM395, "the other" low-noise dual. And the 395 isn't crap. So if you can't turn up a -02 for a price you can pay, shop for a 395. Check the pin-outs before you literally drop one into a board designed for another. EDIT: I mean 394 !!!

National has never given me a hassle for using their Samples program. If you are building a couple preamps, take the freebees.

So that would be two lm395s correct. I am really trying to keep the price down on this preamp. I have tried to order samples from national, but they always try and make me pay this shipping charge, which is higher than if I just bought the stuff. Should all of my caps be film type, or could I use ceramic COG?

Isn't it LM394?
Farnell catalogue has both, but LM395 shows as a power single transistor, while the 394 is a dual...

Frank

jeroddumas, i would use plastic(polypro for clean sound or polyester if you want darker sound..my opinion!) for all audio paths(maybe coupled with electrolytics?) and use HIGH quality ceramics for the chip bypassing, or I believe you can use more plastic caps for the bypassing too.

Hooray !!!

Recieved my free MAT 02 s today from analog devices.

Now i ordered 2 of the FH and 2 EH, hmmmm which one to put in, decisions, decisions.

SSM2210 - Audio Dual Matched NPN Transistor , Direct Replacement for LM394BN/CN .

I have some here , I´m working on two green pre and two amek2500 I should add a ssl9k I think.

JAYJAYBEE: do you receive it as free sample? I can´t order samples of that IC... :mad:

Yup they were free.

I wrote the woman at analog devices an email requesting samples of both the mat02 types.

Make out you work for a logistical company :evil:

They may start to get wise to this eventually but its worth a try.

Latest posts

Back