PSU question +24V and 48V

GroupDIY Audio Forum

Help Support GroupDIY Audio Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

BR

Hey guys,
I did some search here and also looked at the meta and found Keith's power supply, since my knowledge is very limited, I got stuck after switching the regulator to a 24V reg and eliminating the -18V section from his schem.

here it is:
www.braudio.com/forumfiles/PSU_24and48.gif

I was also thinking about using one of these..
http://www.advancedcomponents.com/store/transformers/pdf/SPK030_0606_1.PDF
Just not quite sure if I could go with the dual 18V or just go with the dual 24V

What else would I have to change on this???
I'm just building this to run a single Fetboy, just so you know..

thanks
Gil

Hi Gil,

I guess it will work. Go for the dual 20V as shown or the dual 24V (with heatsink on IC's). Regulators for usual need a margin of min 3V above the desired output voltage, so an 18VAC would turn out to appr.25V or 50VDC after voltage doubler - a little too low. You may put a lytic 100uf/35 after LM7824 and 47uF/63 after LM317 (if you can't get a LM783 instead).

The SSLtech supply won't make much sense for only +24v and +48v, it'd need some modifications and you'd end up with one almost unused winding in the transformer.

Here's a better one:

http://www.vintagedesign.se/diy/Uni PSU.pdf

That's Tekay's universal power supply. For some reason I recall that the voltage multiplier didn't work the last time I tested it, but I could be wrong. I ended up using a basic doubler made of two caps and two diodes..

Problem with my old layout is that the doubler is feeded from wrong winding, just cut a link and feed it from the other winding!

so what is wrong with just doing Keith's PSU, even if I don't care about the unused winding.???
The original post was for me to figure out what else I needed to mod..
any ideas?? besides Harpo's.. that is..
btw: thanks so far..

Thanks
Gil

Back