gates sta-level tips

GroupDIY Audio Forum

Help Support GroupDIY Audio Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Interesting about the 6BJ6s is that part of the circuit different then ????
I like the look of the STA level anyone know how it sounds compared to the colinses or the federal AM864 ??

Cheers .......Gary O.

Doesn´t it sounds like bogus to you?

The STA-LEVEL is a unique device in that it gives back something for the dynamic range the compression process takes away. The STA-LEVEL adds a pleasing transient distortion that we characterize as subsonic punch. This subsonic energy is created at gain reduction attack periods and blends with the natural transients of the audio material. Subsonic energy present in a live instrument or performance are easily lost in the recording process. The STA-LEVEL brings back the live realism. Furthermore, your recording processes down the line will have new usefulness and meaning. Real vacuum tube compression is the one trick pony you will applaud again and again.

hi everybody, i've finally finihed my sta level clone and everything seems working except for the milliammeter: i can't obtain any readings from a dc milliammeter and even from my digital voltmeter.. i don't know why..
i've checked the voltage from 6AL5 and it goes negative to -30v.. so it should compress i guess.. can you please help the last of the newbies?
thanks
paolo

ok i've rechecked and all the voltages are exactliy as in the schematics,i don't really understand why there's no measuring with thje milliammeter?
paolo

Retro Instruments Gold Edition STA-LEVEL $2,350.00

"Doesn´t it sounds like bogus to you?
"

I really do not think it´s expensive for what it is...

I mean, very nice input transformer, big ouput trabnsformer, many tubes, many components, nice rack case, and a very nice sounding unit, very versatile compressor, if it really stands up to the original...

It´s not expensive at all. Look at everything out there in the proaudio world.

ok i found! it insn't a milliammeter it is a microammeter: i tried a 50 microampere meter and it worked well, though i think a 30 micro is better.
i'll send you soon photos of the unit..

paolo

It's not entirely true that you need perfectly balanced 6386's. You can replace the cathode resistor with a pot on the section of the tube with the higher gain and adjust it for a near perfect match. This is actually a production mod on some later Sta-Levels.

[quote author="mattmoogus"][quote author="pahstah"]i've found a 6386 at 25 ? wich i think is a good price.. i'll let you know how the project proceeds..

paolo[/quote]

Remember you cant just buy ANY 6383, the two triodes must be matched. This rules out >90% of the 6386s ever made. I think Manley sell suitable ones for around US$500.

M@[/quote]

Latest posts

Back