Trident preamps....any love? No DIY??

GroupDIY Audio Forum

Help Support GroupDIY Audio Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

JRE Productions

Seems tons of producers talk about the great Trident sounding preamps. I haven't seen any DIY for trident though. Anyone have thoughts of building a DIY preamp like a Series 80, 65 or ?

Joe

[quote author="JRE Productions"]Seems tons of producers talk about the great Trident sounding preamps. I haven't seen any DIY for trident though. Anyone have thoughts of building a DIY preamp like a Series 80, 65 or ?

Joe[/quote]

For one thing, there are probably half a dozen "Series 80" preamps depending on where you draw the line. There were at least three official Trident versions plus the 'reissues' from Oram and Toft (including the 2017 based ones).

Yea, but there are at least 100 Neve versions and clones, yet they still make great DIY.

I guess I would think a "A" range would be a given. Anyone got schemos?

This is something I started over the Xmas holidays, managed to get the mic pre working but only ever tested it on the bench. The cost of switches put me off, but I have since developed a PCB for the Lorlin style switches that allow one to mount them at 90deg to the main PCB.

The idea was to do an A series with 4 band EQ using our favourite range of transformer options (OEP, Lundahl, etc).

Stalled a bit with all the other projects.

I will definitely get back onto this horse once my house has been renovated - 3 months time..

Peter

Hi Peter, I have some meters I think off of a series 80...
Just out of curiosity whats the voltage(s) on those pres you had on your bench.
Thanks
Kelly

You might also want to have a look at Geoff Frosts stuff at Sound Techniques
http://www.soundtechniquesdesks.co.uk/trident.html
Geoff has put a load of interesting stuff around those pages (and he is contactable by email - check this forum for my responses from him)
Interesting about the fact that the first A desks at Trident where Sound Techniques - before I presume Barry Porter and Malcolm Toft starting building Trident A desks in the loft (because Neve couldn;t build a small enough desk to fit in the small control room)
I must dig that interview up where Malcolm talks about this..

Geoff is a really nice guy - and will answer any questions via email

Also.... Joe Boyd has a book about this time (review in this yesterdays Sunday Times)

Back