Quantec QRS rebuilding

GroupDIY Audio Forum

Help Support GroupDIY Audio Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

schoko

Hi folks!

First of all i´d like to say that this seems a good place to stay
enthusiastic DIY´s everywhere...

A friend of mine, which is pro in the recording business, told
me of really good old hall machine, the quantec qrs...
I was wondering if anyone has some resources about that?

Means schematics..

And if thats the case i really would like to know, if there is a chance of rebuild such a unit, maybe problems could get caused by obsolete parts
and such stuff...

If you know something about that, plz write it down here...

If your interested in my projects..
www.abstrusrecords.net
(just started to build a site)

klaus[/url]

check this out:

http://www.independentaudio.com/CDCatalog/HTML/quantec.html

might be more trouble than it's worth to try and 'rebuild'.

zach

[quote author="kubi"]The QRS is a digital reverb unit and an unbelievable good one!
Even if you manage to build the hardware itself, you would need the software to run it.
IIRC Jürgen Haible has some stuff about the QRS on his site, he meight chime in with more info soon.

kubi[/quote]

Yes, the QRS is a wonderful reverb. Hard to believe that this dates back to 1982!

I don't encourage making clones of this, though. Quantec are still in business, and they sell this wonderful Yardstick reverb, which sounds as good (or better?) than the old QRS. Not the same nice user interface, unfortunately.

I have no idea how a QRS stands in comparison with a modern sampling / convolution reverb. I guess one could emulate a QRS perfectly today by just sampling it. Or get something better by sampling a real ambience.

The QRS makes some stunning simulation of a room - but all you can control about this room is its size in m**3, not how this size is shaped. All you can model about the walls reflections' frequency response is a 3-point equalisation. So I guess a sampled reverb of a real room will sound even better. (?)

You can hear a sample of my own music with heavy QRS treatement here:
http://home.debitel.net/user/jhaible/hol_in_purg.html

JH.

I guess one could emulate a QRS perfectly today by just sampling it. Or get something better by sampling a real ambience.

Good point...I've had some good luck using Altiverb and sampling old Lex and AMS stuff. Hell of alot easier than cloning .

well this idea seems to get back to the underground...
have you guys any suggestions on diy a good reverb machine?

i stilll got some of that sampled hall cds of different gear...

what´s about analog delay?(ad100, ad 585)?
i have the schematics from this units, but i am not sure
if they are worth building...

thx for the support anyway...

btw. i make an autocad drawing for a case of the 1176 project...
if your interested an i am ready, i could post it here....

a little support...

klaus

this thread reminded me that i have a qrs that is not working..no audio output. I looked at it some time ago and found that it was not a trivial fault. ie it was faulty in the digital section somewhere. It was then sent to a guy in the US who said he had someone with experience with repairing these. Anyway...this repair hasn't occurred. So, is there anyone in the US who can repair these and is set up with schematics etc. Or can help me out with schematics so i can get it back and repair it?

[quote author="kubi"]squib, send it to the manufacturer that is still in business.

kubi[/quote]

Yes. They clearly state on their homepage that they still support the old machines. It may take a few weeks, as they outsource the repair to a guy who was involved building them, but they definitely claim to get them repaired.

They also sell schematics. Not cheap, but these are *huge* sheets of paper.

See www.quantec.de

JH.

Oh ok thx for your tips, but i think a plate reverb would take the space i really need...
Otherwise it doesn´t fits my style, i maybe try to figure out how
such "thing" works, and maybe someday i´ll be ready to try out
some schematics...

The bad thing on it is, that this seems to get deep into highly mathematics, which i am not a fan of...

Comes time, comes knowledge...
If anybody could get further information on this tuff theme i
would be gratefull...

anyway thx for your comments....

klaus

Back