OTARI 7800 need to bypass line ins and use outboard pres

GroupDIY Audio Forum

Help Support GroupDIY Audio Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

llamaj1

Im getting ready to start using this machine and I realize that ill be going through the line inputs on it to get to tape.
maybe this wont be so bad in the end but im wondering how i could bypass the line inputs,use my outboard pre's and still be able to use all of the functions (VUmeters,tape,input,safe,sel/rep,etc.) of the otari preamps.
im obviously not as advanced as most of you so any help would be appreciated. I do have the manual and all schematics

[quote author="llamaj1"]Im getting ready to start using this machine and I realize that ill be going through the line inputs on it to get to tape.
maybe this wont be so bad in the end but im wondering how i could bypass the line inputs,use my outboard pre's and still be able to use all of the functions (VUmeters,tape,input,safe,sel/rep,etc.) of the otari preamps.[/quote]

I'm not sure what you're trying to achieve. Do the line inputs get padded down and fed through the (dubious) mic preamps? If so, then they're certainly worth bypassing. Do they run through an input line amplifier of dubious quality? If so, then they may be worth bypassing; in either case, the most likely fix (without looking at the schematics) would be to go directly into the input level control. But there are two possible pitfalls. The first is that you have no possibility of using a balanced connection -- in your application that may or may not be an issue. The second is the possibility that the level controls are too heavy a load on your preamps. What is their value?

Peace,
Paul

Latest posts

Back