newb: is the ssl 9k pre an easy build?

GroupDIY Audio Forum

Help Support GroupDIY Audio Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

snowbird

Ive never really built anything except a passive summing box. I want to build a nice sounding 2 channel pre to amplify the summing box. Is the 9k a fairly easy project?

It is very easy IMO. The problem with it is sourcing some parts like the dual 2K5 rev log pots, MAT02 transistor and the SSM2142 or DRV134 IC's depending on where you reside.

There is a group order going on in The Black Market for some of these..

Steve

Try doing a search for "Greg's part list", he has BOM lists for a number of projects, I'm not sure if that one is included or not. The sources are generally Mouser and or Digikey.

Pretty easy. It was my first DIY project. Source the parts from mouser. The mat-02 directly from analog, or get in the group buy for this. Use a rotary switch for gain. It is a great sounding pre.

about how much did it cost? is it a two channel or do i have to build two units?

what do you mean MAT-02 directly from analog? is that a website?

HI

it is a manufacturer Anolog Devices and transistor model is MAT-02.You would have to build two units...

I problably got around$150 tied up into my 2 channell unit. Not bad for a pre that sounds as good as this one. It makes my mackie 32/8 pres sound horrible.

It does sound fantastic, thanks Keith wherever you are :thumb: I think the more I use this thing the better it sounds. I'll get some pictures posted when I'm done with the front panel.

Im doing it! Im excited! Once I have this done I will have a hopefully better sounding setup. I just want space and openess that I hear on so many great tracks.

Heres what my signal chain will look like once I finish the pres.

(mixed OTB, obviously)

emu1212m>ada8000>summed in NYdaves summer>9k pres>GSSL comp

I thank you guys so much for you advice!

Latest posts

Back