SSL Clone PCB groundplain question

GroupDIY Audio Forum

Help Support GroupDIY Audio Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

DaxLiniere

Hello all!

Can I ask why the ground plane on the SSL Clone PCB is striped and not solid?

If the answer is yes;
Why is the ground plain on the SSL Clone PCB is striped and not solid?
:)

Thanks!
Dax.

Sometimes the simplest answers are the best. :green:

I can see, two-hundred years from now, some future archaeologist studying a GSSL PCB and spending days on why the ground planes are striped, tearing their hair out the whole time. :green:

[quote author="Consul"]
I can see, two-hundred years from now, some future archaeologist studying a GSSL PCB and spending days on why the ground planes are striped, tearing their hair out the whole time. :green:[/quote]

In our safe we have a few of these figures amongst our sealed songs:
a6_1.JPG

Maybe in a few hundred years archaeologist will think these were our gods. :green: I feel funny everytime I think about it.

BTW, thanks.

I wonder why no one changed that in 6 revisions of the PCB artwork? Oh well.

Once again, thanks a lot Jakob

Those stripes form a comb filter for cancelling noise in the 3 megahertz region.
The formula is f=1/trace width * N (number of stripes)^2-2 pi f L.
:oops: :green:

Its not completely uncommen to see things like that even in more elaborate layouts. Maybe their all using the same program as Jakob, or maybe there are some benifits from it. I know for one thing, that we do not have a full copper area on our production panels, in order to spread out the current when doing thruplating.

I mostly see dot patterns, and not stripes, though ! (Maybe it follows the generel trend of the fashion industry)

Gustav

There is another reason older boards used striped fills. When a board is manufactured using solder mask over HASL (hot air solder level), the solder melts during the wave solder process (after the boards are stuffed with parts) making the solder mask want to fall off of the board. By striping the copper, the solder mask stays stuck to the board where there's no trace, and crinkles where there's trace. That's not necessary now that most boards use solder mask over bare copper (SMOBC) and a solid plane is acceptable using that technology.

Back