Solid state pultec Idea suggestions please

GroupDIY Audio Forum

Help Support GroupDIY Audio Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jeroddumas

I am looking forward to building two channels of Pultec Peq clone. I want to do solid state. I have a couple of ideas I would like to throw around. First I want to do them with either the new ba283 output or API 312 type makup circuit. If any of you were to use these would you include a pot for makeup gain, or would you use a fixed makup gain of 6db I think. Also could these eq's be made with something like the green pre or ssl 9k as makeup gain?

Yes, I would include a pot, in fact I did include a pot.
Í think that u can use any make up stage after the passive EQ part of the pultec. Why don't you just build the passive EQ part and plug it into different pre's to see which one you'll like best...

[quote author="mediatechnology"]SSL did a Pultec solid state clone called the 82E132. I can scan it if you need it. ...[/quote]
this is interesting - could you please scan it ?

Thanx for scan.

BTW, where are Pultec inductors? Gyrators instead?

[quote author="jeroddumas"]...do them with either the new ba283 output or API 312 type makeup circuit.[/quote]With the ba283 you'd only need a +24V supply. OTOH, with the API type, output transformers are cheap, plus you can get two varieties from Cinemag - one uses nickel and sounds less colored. Also, I bet the fetbloak would be great for this if you go the API route.

There was a version of transformerless pultec published somewhere.
Here it is. http://84.255.203.119/Pultecschemo.gif (I hope link will work.)

It uses inductors for pultec eq, same as original, but has balanced I/O with NE5532, and ba283 pre section (without output iron) as makeup stage. What do you think about this?

I have just this schemo, never built it. Maybe somebody else tried it. There is no transformer. Prabably unbalanced will work too.

BTW: What is bauman neve makeup stage?

[quote author="mediatechnology"]Yeah it looks like they Gyrated. As I recall from my SSL training they emulated the frequencies, Qs and curves. So, it's not really a Pultec but an emulator.[/quote]

Thanks for the pdf :thumb:

Just curious now... anyone knows more then about the Drawmer E101 Passive EQ ? As it seems the Drawmer-take on the Pultec, but as the SSL completely solid-state as well. Gyrators or coils ?

Back