A very good B. Gilbert paper that can be downloaded

GroupDIY Audio Forum

Help Support GroupDIY Audio Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

bcarso

The tech publisher Springer has a site that can be accessed with free registration called springerlink, and you can browse abstracts and in some cases read and download entire articles, in a whole series of their journals. One such is Analog Integrated Circuits and Signal Processing. While browsing I found a Barrie Gilbert paper, viewable in its entirety, called "Current Mode, Voltage Mode, or Free Mode? A Few Suggestions". It is quite entertaining. The variable gain amp described at the end of the article is pretty impressive, although it is communication systems oriented and not an audio part per se.

I think you can go to http://springerlink.metapress.com to register. The issue with the Gilbert piece is 38 (pp. 83-101, 2004). Again, not all papers in every issue are available without subscription but this one is. I am tempted to subscribe but it's probably hideously expensive.

If you can't get this to work or are spooked about adding your information to yet another site, PM me with an email addy and I'll send you a pdf. Then you can be spooked by my having your information :razz:

No salesman will call.

> free registration called springerlink

It recognizes "me" as "my school". Probably by our IP range. So students may have access simply by using campus networks.

There is some "favorites" feature that obviously needs a personal login.

Yes, using my school IP number and no personal info, I got 19 pages of:

... a casual, and often inappropriate, appeal to the term in publications, at times with insufficient regard for foundations developed decades ago, referencing instead recent and closely similar work. Its colloquial application implies the use of currents as signals, invariably with a tacit claim to a degree of novelty, announcing a different, and in some (unstated and unclear) way, advantageous implementation of a function formerly realized using other techniques. It hints at an ingeneous break with the traditional reliance on the use of voltages. But what is a voltage-mode circuit? ...

AND: I got my printer working! (This is back-porch material, not online reading.)

Thanks.

Back